Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for clear permanent vinyl for second surface mounts

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by DSGI, Nov 11, 2017.

1. DSGI

DSGI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Hello All -

We do giclee printing on high end photo papers that we then use an optically clear adhesive and mount those prints to clear acrylic. It's a great product but is somewhat challenging to do perfectly. Also, the material and labor costs can be very expensive, so we are looking into different processes for some projects we have (we can and do direct print Acrylic on UV Flatbeds but the print quality isn't as high), the main process we want to test is printing mirrored on clear cast vinyl and mounting that for a permanent second surface graphic. We want a strong adhesive (we tried 3M 180mC-114 and where we attached a mounting frame to the back of the print the 3M 180 adhesive/air channels lifted/showed silvering. We also tested 3M 3650 but had the vinyl silver just naturally over two or three days (when we first applied the vinyl there was no silvering).

The best stuff we've found has been the 8150 from 3M, but when talking with 3M support they told me it was not a "permanent vinyl". So at this point we feel we need to look at other media manufacturers.

Our top requirements are:
    1. Solvent (eco solvent) printable
    2. Optically clear adhesive
    3. designed to last - permanent adhesive that won't lift/separate from the acrylic if we put a mounting back on the back of the print.
    4. Stable - it won't shrink or expand over time

Thank you in advance for the suggestions!

2. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We've had alot of success with Oracal 3651 Clear, it's not a cast but we have used it for outdoor signs with minimal shrinking.

Honestly if you have a high-end clientele paying for that type of work you should really stick to paper or a synthetic paper and reverse mount. It's the most stable and provides the best image quality unless you get in to a really high end 10 color UV or solvent flatbed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DSGI

DSGI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Hi 2CT Media -

We will still be offering the giclee facemounted product, but we are looking for alternatives for customers who have lower quality expectations and smaller budgets...

Thanks!

4. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Just an FYI.....

We print 2nd surface on glass for the Harley Museum with GREAT success and quality. We are using a Mimaki JFX200

Acrylic panels as well

5. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    The 3M 8150 is a 7 year cast film, not sure what you will find better than that. All of the other optically clear films I have seen are all ~2 year removable films. For what they charge for it, it better be a long term film.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DSGI

DSGI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Thanks for your reply, I thought so myself, but when we contacted the 3M technical support I was told it wasn't a long term film because it was a removable adhesive....

Thanks!

7. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    oracal 290GF

8. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    O 290F or similar clear vinyl, printed mirror image, and laminate with white vinyl. Then mount to acrylic.

9. Lane J

Lane J Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Edmonton
    Metamark MD5 is our go-to. I have never had a problem with it. It boasts a 7 year outdoor life span, I can't really vouch for that but I haven't seen the vinyl fail yet.