• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommended must have Illustrator plug ins for vector art and text

Blackie

What are the recommended Illustrator plug ins for creating and editing vector art and text?
For example- outlining, contour outlining, kerning, node editing, text arching, scrolling, fit to path, auto corner, etc. and
any other helpful vector sign design tools I failed to mention. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Blackie

Thank Rick for taking the first step- there are useful plug-ins out there

Illustrator is proven top of the line software for sign makers.
I am only searching for useful plug-ins that enhance Illustrator and improve productivity.
Over 100 views in the past few days is testament there is interest in constant improvement.
I apologize for my clumsy step into the House of Adobe and questioning the god Illustrator.
Please keep all the ummmmmm... responses coming.
I appreciate people who keep their heads buried in the sand.
It lowers the level of competition.

vid

The bulk of what we do is still cut film, so it's nice to have vinyl color palettes to use for some continuity on the spec sheets.

We don't do Avery, but it'd be easy enough to make some based of this chart:
We're also experimenting with CoCut on a small plotter for quick cuts out of CorelDraw. It is also available for Illustrator.

And like the others, there aren't many plugins that I use anymore with the current version of Illustrator. Those I had used in other versions, now have a similar feature integrated in the CS Illustrators. I suppose I could make a tree for presentations (found in this link with a few other others:

If you add the plugins Rick suggested, Illustrator can be every bit as good as CorelDraw in the modern day sign shop...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I would like to see Adobe or some other 3rd party produce a function that produces this kind of extrude/shadow that is VINYL FRIENDLY. Yes there is a 3d tool in Illustrator but the results produce too many extra shapes and when applied to detailed graphics or complex serifed fonts they have too many anomalies

I want something similar to what some of the sign software programs can do.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-05-17 at 4.26.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-05-17 at 4.26.32 PM.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 189

Vinylman

Eric;

You are so well versed in Illustrator, I know you could create that effect with four or five quick moves. Just not a one click option as yet.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Eric;

You are so well versed in Illustrator, I know you could create that effect with four or five quick moves. Just not a one click option as yet.

Yeah I did that I in less than 20 seconds. However, that is not the case when there a dozens of letters or worse, when a serifed and rounded font is used. It requires extensive work and a script/effect could do any amount of letters in a fraction of time.

sinetist

One Java script plug-in I use a lot is "Divide Text" ... it'll divide text that is on more than one line into individual lines. There's also a "Join Text" script that does the opposite but I don't use that as often.

ChicagoGraphics

I would like to see Adobe or some other 3rd party produce a function that produces this kind of extrude/shadow that is VINYL FRIENDLY. Yes there is a 3d tool in Illustrator but the results produce too many extra shapes and when applied to detailed graphics or complex serifed fonts they have too many anomalies

I want something similar to what some of the sign software programs can do.

Eric are you sure there's nothing in Illustrator to give you that type of shadow? Couple of years ago I was adding a drop shadow in illy and it gave me that shadow instead of regular shadow it gives you. I don't remember what I clicked on though.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Eric are you sure there's nothing in Illustrator to give you that type of shadow? Couple of years ago I was adding a drop shadow in illy and it gave me that shadow instead of regular shadow it gives you. I don't remember what I clicked on though.

Not that I am aware of. 3d extrude that I spoke of will do this but it is NOT vinyl friendly

vid

Yeah I did that I in less than 20 seconds. However, that is not the case when there a dozens of letters or worse, when a serifed and rounded font is used. It requires extensive work and a script/effect could do any amount of letters in a fraction of time.

Yes. BIG PITA!

But, How are you creating that?

I'm still old school on those

Set Type>

Copy > Paste in Back > (move to desired location) > Paste in Back (Pasting a another copy of the original - Keep selected > Select the moved copy > Blend (144 Steps) > Expand > Unite > Delete Anchor Points created by the blend > Adjust colors --- (Hopefully that makes sense.)

For example, this one took about 4 minutes (+-)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 101FauxExtrude.jpg
    101FauxExtrude.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 267