• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Recovering JV33 head

TheSFG

Hey Guys

got a solid deal on a jv33 that had been sitting. I have been soaking the head for the past week adding solution every other day. Using a syringe this morning I used a little pressure through ech chamber on the manifold lines with pretty great success! while doing all of the manifold inlets I got clean sprays except for black... when I did black I got some spraying back up through the other black when I put pressure. I assume that means the manifold broke, I am praying that it doesn't mean the head is the issue. any feedback would be appreciated as always :)

TheSFG

to clarify where I put pressure is on the top portion where the dampers meet the manifold and sprays back from its opposite. since the machine is ran in "CMYKKYMC" I hope it's just a crack in the manifold. any experience with this?

Attachments

• dx5-manifold.jpg
    dx5-manifold.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 370

AdamTek

It's probably a complete blockage of one of the black channels (inside the head itself). When you apply pressure to the channel it's probably leaking out of the rubber seal between the manifold and head and some is going back up the other black channel. Be careful as you could be damaging the pcb on the head with solvent.

I would remove the manifold - remove 3 screws on the bottom of the head and carefully remove it. Check damage on the manifold itself (block the exit tube with finger and force liquid through). If that's good, clean and resit the rubber seal, then reattach the manifold making sure the holes all line up (make sure you don't have liquid on the pcb). Try some liquid again and see if it has fixed the issue. If not, you have a complete blockage and the only thing you could do is put the head in a ultrasonic cleaner and see if that unblocks it.

Just speaking from my own experience, others may have a different idea, but that's how I would approach it. Just remember, any of this can possibly damage your head further, so proceed only if you're prepared for the worst outcome! That being said, I have repaired several DX5 heads this way.

TheSFG

It's probably a complete blockage of one of the black channels (inside the head itself). When you apply pressure to the channel it's probably leaking out of the rubber seal between the manifold and head and some is going back up the other black channel. Be careful as you could be damaging the pcb on the head with solvent.

I would remove the manifold - remove 3 screws on the bottom of the head and carefully remove it. Check damage on the manifold itself (block the exit tube with finger and force liquid through). If that's good, clean and resit the rubber seal, then reattach the manifold making sure the holes all line up (make sure you don't have liquid on the pcb). Try some liquid again and see if it has fixed the issue. If not, you have a complete blockage and the only thing you could do is put the head in a ultrasonic cleaner and see if that unblocks it.

Just speaking from my own experience, others may have a different idea, but that's how I would approach it. Just remember, any of this can possibly damage your head further, so proceed only if you're prepared for the worst outcome! That being said, I have repaired several DX5 heads this way.

Thanks for the reply, I bought this jv33 at a price i could live with it if did in fact need a head. That being said I want to try and recover it if at all possible :p

where can I use an ultrasonic cleaner? like a jewlery store? or ?

AdamTek

No problems. You can get industrial type ultrasonic cleaners fairly cheap off of ebay, or if you need one sooner try an electronics store. I bought one from ebay that also heats the liquid for about $120 Australian dollars. It's just a cheap Chinese brand, but does the job.

TheSFG

No problems. You can get industrial type ultrasonic cleaners fairly cheap off of ebay, or if you need one sooner try an electronics store. I bought one from ebay that also heats the liquid for about $120 Australian dollars. It's just a cheap Chinese brand, but does the job.

do you put cleaning solvent or?

AdamTek

Use Isopropyl alcohol. It's safe for electronics. put some in the channels and put enough in the bath to cover the base of the head and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Technically you can cover the entire head unit with iso, just make sure it's completely dry before plugging it back in. But I've only ever just covered the base part (about 10mm).

AdamTek

Actually, I wouldn't recommend immersing the entire head as it may remove the silicon/water proofing around the pcb.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The rubber gasket between the head and manifold is generally pretty darn tight and its very unlikely that pushing fluid into one channel would cause it to come back out of the next channel via that rubber gasket. If anything, a leak there would just have cleaning fluid leaking onto the top of the heads circuit board and running out the edges under the manifold. 95% odds with what it is doing is the internal structure inside the head between those 2 channels has ruptured and the head is for all intents and purposes internally damaged and ruined.

Also be very careful on mixing different chemicals or using other chemicals to clean or flush. I have seen firsthand two different brands of cleaning solvent as well as ISO alcohol that when mixed basically turns into a thick gel like substance. Not saying it will happen but saying I'd test it in a small dish or something first. Mix a bit of the two up good and let it sit for several minutes. If they happen to be incompatible and turn into a thick goop inside a head..... that head is done. Alcohol is also not a great solvent for this as it evaporates too quick to be useful for any sort of soaking - only really good for immediate wiping/cleaning.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You broke the inside of the head and there is absolutely no doubt about it. On a DX5 head there are 8 separate channels. They never come in contact with each other at any point in the structure of the head. When you push solution through one channel and it comes out the other, it's cooked.

Edit: Also never use alcohol on these heads other then to clean non-important surfaces. When mixed with the solvent ink in the head, it will coagulate.

TheSFG

does anyone have a good source for a replacement head since that seems to be my only option. Also how difficult is the replacement if I choose to do it myself?