• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Red and White OAK

signage

I got a RFQ on signs for outdoor use that specs Red and White Oak for the substrate. I'm in the northeast and am wondering if this is a good choice/idea? The spec is for 1 1/2" thick variable sizes V-routed letters.

So is Oak alright to use?

Also these signs say stained Brown background with white reflective painted letters. Has anyone tried the rustolium reflective coating?

TIA

petrosgraphics

are you going to use a solid stain...... i have used white oak outdoors, as for reflective paint,

*never used rustolium *reflective.... i have white reflective paint that was given to me by the

*chief ranger of the national seashore here on the cape..... it is thick, needs to be stirred often

*pain to work with, but it works... not sure where you can get the paint...

Billct2

Sound like bad choices all the way round.
If it has to be wood cedar or redwood are better choices.
If it's going be brown why not signfoam?
I found this place when I was looking into reflective paints
http://www.amesresearch.com/app_rp.html

If they asked me to spec a rustic wood sign with reflective copy that would hold up well
I would suggest sandblasted cedar with a semitransparent stain and reflective vinyl on the letters.

Last edited:

bleeth

Red Oak is the waaaay wrong thing to use outside.
White Oak is the better choice. Because it doesn't get damaged by water it is used for barrels, outdoor furniture, and was the choice for many years for ship timbers. Make sure when installing you use only galvenized or preferably stainless steel fasteners as normal steel and/or iron will discolor the wood.
It is a very hard wood and if you cut smaller strips look out for them bending out of shape from the inner tension.
It will stain and hold paint well.
Because of how hard and close the grain is (a very slow growing tree) sanding can be slow and cutting/machining can burn it easily. Make sure your tools are SHARP.
It's most famous user for furniture, both indoors and out was the Craftsman Line of Gustav Stickley. Instead of staining it traditionally he fumed it with ammonia.

I would have a go at convincing them to change the spec to red cedar. Much easier to work.
You may want to bid the job, and if awarded, submit a red cedar alternate at a slightly lower cost.