• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

reflective apartment door lettering

wwyd?

• 040 aluminum panel with reflective sheeting and cut vinyl letters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 040 aluminum panel with printed reflective vinyl

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 040 aluminum panel with cut reflective

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • printed reflective applied directly to door

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cut reflective applied directly to door

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fresh

I have a job labeling the back doors (painted steel) of a large apartment complex. They have to be reflective... which way would you do it? Its qty 150 doors, and the numbers will be about 2.5" tall.

If i use alumin, I'll installed it with VHB.

letterman7

You'll also need to check to see if there is a specific fire code regulation for height. There is around here.

bannertime

I do these for a commercial painter in my area. When we do door numbers and such they are about 4-6in and when we do Riser Room and other code related stuff they are about 2-3in. They apply the 3M 5100 directly to the doors after they paint them.

Billct2

I'd do printed reflective on .063 aluminum. Seems like the job would go quicker, no issues with the surface of the door, and the signs can be reused if doors are painted

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Odd, I always thought NJ required only fire related rooms to have the reflective signs so they can locate them fast...

When I have done them, there were not that many, I always designed them with undersized backers so sloppy maintenance can paint around them without sloshing paint all over them....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Odd, I always thought NJ required only fire related rooms to have the reflective signs so they can locate them fast...

When I have done them, there were not that many, I always designed them with undersized backers so sloppy maintenance can paint around them without sloshing paint all over them....

I believe those are FDC signs or building numbers, not individual units. Fire Departments need to know from a block away if they are in the right vicinity, not the exact door. Anyway, around here, it's like that.

fresh

These aren't required by fire code, the client wants them because it's not the nicest area. These are the back-doors of the apartments.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
These aren't required by fire code, the client wants them because it's not the nicest area. These are the back-doors of the apartments.

Makes sense... you don't have this as an option but I would use painted aluminum panel, reverse-cut the numbers out...

bannertime

Bad area? Stick them on the door or the crackheads will try to scrap the aluminum.

Lol, I'd have honestly said you were crazy, but some time last year a customer proved this to me. He told me the signs needed to be screwed into the concrete wall. He said that they'd get stolen. I convinced him that we could tape them up and they'd fine. I honestly thought he exaggerating the situation, but one did get stolen within a month. Went back out and screwed the rest in.

Last month we had one of my scrap customers haul off a bunch of old aluminum signs. They were hesitant to take some of them, we convinced them it'd be okay. We got a call a few hours later asking if we could confirm the signs came from us.