• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective Paint or vinyl on concrete

Stevealex

Hello, I have a client that needs reflective lettering on a concrete bridge. It could be paint or vinyl. I don't know of any reflective that would stick well enough to concrete (possibly semi-rough texture) and was wondering if anyone has used any type of paint mask that might stick to the concrete while the paint is applied. The only thing I saw that said it could be applied to cast concrete is vinyl sandmask. I thought maybe just use reflective on aluminum but they would rather not go that route. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Billct2

"use reflective on aluminum but they would rather not go that route"...another client that wants something that isn't appropriate. WHY?, why, why does it have to be directly on the concrete? You could cut the text from ACM apply reflective and then mount.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Out of all of those solutions reflective on aluminum is the least labor intensive by far which means the cheapest. It would also be the most durable in the long run. With those facts your customer might warm up to the idea of reflective on aluminum. If they are teetering on the edge let them know they could install it themselves and save a few more $$$.

The look is extremely flexible as well. You can use colored aluminum or coat it with reflective and then add your copy...

Stevealex

"use reflective on aluminum but they would rather not go that route"...another client that wants something that isn't appropriate. WHY?, why, why does it have to be directly on the concrete? You could cut the text from ACM apply reflective and then mount.
There was supposedly some valid reason they were not able to attach signage but he didn't get into that. Thanks for the ACM suggestion. Something like that may be an option.

Stevealex

Out of all of those solutions reflective on aluminum is the least labor intensive by far which means the cheapest. It would also be the most durable in the long run. With those facts your customer might warm up to the idea of reflective on aluminum. If they are teetering on the edge let them know they could install it themselves and save a few more $$$.

The look is extremely flexible as well. You can use colored aluminum or coat it with reflective and then add your copy...
Ya money is not an issue with this company for sure but they were pretty adamant about finding a way to directly apply paint or vinyl to the concrete without using a substrate.

Billct2

If the issue is drilling in the concrete then tape & lexel or another adhesive would work. We do work on a hostoricconcrete building and drilling into the concrete is avoided if possible, so that's what we do.

Stevealex

Does it have to be a specific type of reflective?

You could laminate 3M 780C to a high tack vinyl and conform it to the texture.
Does it have to be a specific type of reflective?

You could laminate 3M 780C to a high tack vinyl and conform it to the texture.
Any suggestions for a good high tack vinyl? If nothing else maybe the high tac vinyl could be used as paintmask to apply reflective paint.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It's tough to get vinyl to stick to concrete, especially when pealing the mask. Make sure the concrete is dry and test. If your worried about the paint bleeding under the mask, use a concrete primer tinted to the color of the concrete for your first coat. After that is dry you can use the reflective paint without worrying about bleed.

AKwrapguy

Hello, I have a client that needs reflective lettering on a concrete bridge. It could be paint or vinyl. I don't know of any reflective that would stick well enough to concrete (possibly semi-rough texture) and was wondering if anyone has used any type of paint mask that might stick to the concrete while the paint is applied. The only thing I saw that said it could be applied to cast concrete is vinyl sandmask. I thought maybe just use reflective on aluminum but they would rather not go that route. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Could you use something like Diamond Grade reflective? It's pretty aggressive. If not could you use something more conformable like a 3m 680-Cr and use a primer 44 base coat on the concrete first? Use a heat gun and roller and really get it on there?

I know that 3m now make a convex like material with air-release.

JD93

Try mactac, I'm sure your supplier will give you a sample, I've used it before for various wall graphics, on different walls, plaster board, concrete, painted brick and even non treated brick, a very good and reliable vinyl, I'd cut that and apply the reflective vinyl to that

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure you can get reflective to stick to dry concrete short term. But, concrete absorbs waters and it will eventually peel off in the short term. If I'm not mistaken, 3M's textured surface vinyl is made for applications like this but it is only guaranteed for 6 to 12 months when your not in a freeze thaw environment...

Brandon708

There is a material called Alumigraphics that sticks to concrete. I would maybe try doing a blank piece of that on the wall then apply your reflective over that. I would also probably use a 3m Engineer Grade reflective. That stuff is very high tack. Then I would go around the edges of the concrete and vinyl with a bit of silicone around the edges so water doesn't get behind somehow.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Why is it you cant get vinyl to stick to concrete unless its scrap that happens to fall on the floor of the shop. I have to scrape it up with a floor razor!!!!