Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reflective pricing?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by TXFB.INS, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    a customer approached and asked to quote

Material: Aluminum Alloy mill finish
    Thickness: 1/8” 8ga (.125)
    Corners: 3/8" rounded
    Size: 4'8” x 9'7”
    Background Color: Engineer Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting White
    Color(s): Engineer Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting Red Font
    Wording: text only no designs
    QTY: 2

they then called back and are claiming that they can get the above mentioned completed back to them for $203 per sign

there is no way that is the case.

what would you quote signs like this for?

thanks,

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    like $1000+ i dont even want to do the math, but a 5x10 sheet of .125 alum will cost around $200 alone

3. TXFB.INS

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    I have priced from 3 different supplies best I got was 245 per sheet

the quote that we sent was for 1193 per sign

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yup I was going off memory - other company MUST not be making them to spec

5. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Don't waste another minute with these people. They are out-right lying to you.

First of all, the measurements [and specs] are all goofy.
    Next, the materials will cost you more than they claim they got for another quote.
    Last, why take on a project, where the customer is lying.

No sense wasting a 1/2 hour justifying things and then loosing it in the end, once you give them a realistic price.

6. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Offer to buy a couple of extras from him at that price since as Jhill mentioned, you cannot even buy the aluminum for that. A full sheet of aluminum that thick already fully covered in prismatic/diamond grade reflective, I'd be happy to buy it for $200! I've also never personally heard of prismatic and/or diamond grade reflective also being called engineer grade. Engineer grade is engineer grade, prismatic/diamond grade is prismatic/diamond grade.

Essentially I think your customer is an idiot that has no idea what he is talking about and/or he thinks you are an idiot that has no clue what you are talking about.

7. TXFB.INS

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    only thing the we can come up

thanks, boss was wanting to make sure it was priced competitively

8. john1

john1 Guest

$236.05 here for 1/8" 5x10' sheet of alloy mill finish, not including having it cut down and corners rounded or any reflective.

Call him back, laugh in his ear and tell him to pack sand. Stupid liars

9. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs Active Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I just always ask for the name of the company they're getting them from, as I'd like to buy a dozen or so of whatever it is. I've yet to have them tell me a name.

10. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    reflective 680c would cost more than what they are quoting.

with that said, i have no doubt some dipsh*t could actually be selling them to this company for the price they said.

we see it all the time. the lowballer does it thinking they will get a new client. in the end, they say hell with it we are losing money and the client is left having to start all over with another vendor. it never ends. we have lots of clients that this has happened to and now tell us to make sure we are making money on the job/s because they dont want to go through it again.

11. john1

john1 Guest

:thumb:

Guess they think they will gain the client with low balling and then be their vendor for everything else in the future. Worst way of thinking IMO.

12. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    let the bastards go! that alone would go for almost $1k let them go ahead and get it from their "cheap source"....or better yet tell them thats one hell of a deal I would jump on that and never NEVER take another call from them again! Timewasters