• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective Traffic Signs 3M VS Avery VS Oralite

MikeHay

Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to know everyone's preferences when it comes to traffic signs and what brand everyone likes using best, 3M, Avery or Oralite.

Me personally I have been using 3M 3930 High Intensity Prismatic Sheeting, DG3 and Some engineer Grade. I have been in the traffic sign industry for 3+ years now.

If anyone has any feedback about Avery Reflective or Oralite Reflective I would love to hear it!

Thanks,
Mike

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We use 3M reflective for all especially for vehicles, has a little more "flex" or "comply" to it. Can print to it then laminate.
pia to remove though.

AKwrapguy

Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to know everyone's preferences when it comes to traffic signs and what brand everyone likes using best, 3M, Avery or Oralite.

Me personally I have been using 3M 3930 High Intensity Prismatic Sheeting, DG3 and Some engineer Grade. I have been in the traffic sign industry for 3+ years now.

If anyone has any feedback about Avery Reflective or Oralite Reflective I would love to hear it!

Thanks,
Mike

We do most of the traffic signs up here and it doesn't matter what you like or don't like to use. All DOT signs have very specific guidelines that you must follow. They will say in the spec sheet. Most call for 3M as it's been submitted for testing and has been the industry standard forever. Some other manufactures are trying to get in on the action but it's all up to your local/city/state people and if they will allow another material to be substituted (not likely unless it's been approved by someone else in the state).

MikeHay

We use transparent vinyls overlays for the colors and black vinyls for our traffic signs, we don’t screenprint any signage. We find the overlays don’t fade and last longer than screenprinting plus it’s more environmentally friendly.

I am actually in the process of looking into Avery reflective sheeting. I see they have a good line of products, brighter colors and a lot of the big agencies are even switching to them.

We do most of the traffic signs up here and it doesn't matter what you like or don't like to use. All DOT signs have very specific guidelines that you must follow. They will say in the spec sheet. Most call for 3M as it's been submitted for testing and has been the industry standard forever. Some other manufactures are trying to get in on the action but it's all up to your local/city/state people and if they will allow another material to be substituted (not likely unless it's been approved by someone else in the state).

MikeHay

28777155-5F69-480C-82F7-A53C041C917B.jpeg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Have a family member working for the county traffic sign Dept. and he said they had salesman come in trying to get them into a latex printer saying it lasts 10 years and was better then cut vinyl. I naturally had some doubts as did they! Would like to get into supplying street signs, but the people at the prison work cheaper then I do

MikeHay

Yeah, I’m still sceptical on printed signs, you still have to laminate them to get the full 10 years, and laminate isn’t much cheaper than we buy the transparent colored films for. But you can make more detailed multi colored Sign with Printing so it works out that way.

Have a family member working for the county traffic sign Dept. and he said they had salesman come in trying to get them into a latex printer saying it lasts 10 years and was better then cut vinyl. I naturally had some doubts as did they! Would like to get into supplying street signs, but the people at the prison work cheaper then I do