• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective vinyl printing questions

Bill72

I recently got a contract for the installation of vinyl graphics on 8 refurbished transit buses for a very large company that could potentially lead to a lot more. They are a very particular client so I need get the best results possible. The graphics are simple some reflective stripes and cut vinyl lettering. The spec sheet list all the 3m specified materials and colors, exact placement of graphics according to the CAD drawing +\- .2" which is all great makes my job easier. Except for the 12" wide yellow stripe that runs half the length of bus and into the front cap where the yellow will be painted. Spec sheet specify "yellow stripe to be rotary screen printed to match Dupont Imron paint code 846602-42p"

First question: What is rotary screen printing? I'm somewhat new to the world of print but I thought screen printing was for t shirts.

So I got a hold of my contact which had no more information for me than the spec sheet but he did send me a sample of the vinyl. It is a 3M white reflective vinyl with air release, the yellow color is definitely printed on I use a lot of 3m reflective and that's not one of there colors. Like I said I use a lot of 3m reflective and have a roll of the 680CR-10 white in stock. Mine has a silver back clear adhesive the sample I got has a white back.

I'll call my supplier with that question as well but if anyone out there whose has experience printing on reflective is there a difference? I have never printed on reflective so I did a couple of quick test prints on my silver back material. I have a Roland Versacamm 540 and used a the the yellow roland spot colors for my tests and several different media profile settings in versaworks. Not even worried about a color match yet, so far my results haven't produced a solid enough color, compared to the sample mine have to much of the silver showing through, there's is a much more uniform color, you can't really tell it's reflective at all unless u get real close and feel the material.

Any suggestions or similar experiences or advice on printing on reflective would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill the Busman

player

I am not sure if the 3M colours are "rotary screen printed" but all the reflective colours are printed on white, and I would say they are screen printed. I would think the colour they are asking for is a custom colour. You will need to buy it already done or pay 3M to do a batch for you if it is not readily available. Contact 3M.

I have had great success printing on reflective with a Roland printer. The issue you will have is your printer is not what they want, nor will it have the durability that the other will have.

Snydo

There are many companies who screen print onto vinyl. As far as rotary screen printing, basically a printing press that can output massive sq. feet per hour on many different materials, often things like wallpaper and fabric.

As for the white backed reflective, I believe I have seen some diamond grade reflective that is white backed but I sure as hell would not want to run it through any of my printers.

Also for what its worth, many companies will compromise on specced out materials, often close is good enough...especially if what you supply performs as well or better than what is specced.

We print on Oralight 5600(prints awesome) and 5700 regularly, with a quality UV Cast lam and so far 5 years out there has been no noticeable fading on primarily black and orange prints.

ams

You can always suggest a different material. Many times state jobs and places will accept a substitute.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You may be looking at a Gerber Edge print on reflective. It produces solid prints on reflective that don't have a "layered look" to them.
Post up pics of the vinyl if you don't mind.
Are you sure that the yellow striping doesn't come as yellow? I've only done a few buses, but the yellow I've always used came in a roll as school bus yellow diamond grade reflective.

ams

Also I found out that the 3M Reflective Sheeting cannot be printed on (gives poor results) and that it has to be silk screened.