• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

reflective yellow and red for fire dept. pickup

signguy 55

Need to quote a new pickup for our fire department. They are wanting the tailgate done in the highly reflective yellow and red stripes.

Is there a ready made package for this or do I need to do the two colors and layout the angles by hand ? I assume 45 degrees.
I've never installed or had to start from scratch like this before, I'm hoping there's a kit I can buy, but if not what vinyl do you guys recommend for the best reflectivity?
It's just a tailgate so there won't be much vinyl needed.

Thanks in advance.

letterman7

You better check to see what their specs are. Some departments are required to have the 3M DG3 on the back, some support vehicles can get away with regular engineer grade. Chevrons are inverted V at 45°. I've never used the pre-made panels before, but they won't work if you have to cover the entire tailgate. Cut 6" strips and apply each color individually..

And you'll need to check which yellow they require - there are at least 3 shades, from the lime yellow to the gold(s)..

Billct2

We use 6" reflexite for these.
Remove as much trim,badges lights as you can.
The stuff doesn't play nice.

TSC1985

I second the 6" reflexite. It so bright when light hits it, way better than any of the pre-printed 3M panels the manufacturers put on.

signguy 55

I'm looking at my Oracal color charts and they have the V98 reflective, but they recommend Oratape ht55, mt95 and mt72. Never knew regular application tape wouldn't work. Is that the case? Any experience with this type of vinyl and taping ?

I guess the striping could be applied without any tape since they will only be 6" each.

letterman7

I second the 6" reflexite. It so bright when light hits it, way better than any of the pre-printed 3M panels the manufacturers put on.

I'm surprised when someone says this. I've never seen that to be the case. Years ago I did an unscientific photo test of Reflexite, 3M DG3 and FDC's engineer grade. Photo flash from across the room, nothing else:

attachment.php

I've never found Reflexite to be that particularly bright, even compared to standard engineer grade stuff. But to each their own - it does satisfy NFPA requirements.

Attachments

• reflective comparisons.jpg
    reflective comparisons.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 167