• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Refresh my memory... Vinyl, Widows & Weather (oh my)

Ssmedia7

I haven’t done vinyl lettering on a storefront window in a very long time. I have a new customer who needs letter but I seem to remember that if it’s too cold you can’t apply the lettering. Not sure. We are in Chicago and it won’t go above 10degrees for at least another week.

So, is there a weather limitation for the application of vinyl lettering on exterior windows? If so, what is it?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes, ya just hafta say, if I gotta do it, I gotta do it.

10º is cold, but if you do it dry, you should be able to deliver a professional job. Clean it well with 91% alcohol and do the application without any liquids.

There was a guy on here, years ago, named Roger Bailey, who I think made claim to being the inventor of Rapid Tac. He then came out with Rapid Tac II and said you could use that in any temperature you needed. He had a video of himself doing it out in the snow. We have it, and it's been sitting around for about 10 years. However, like I said, we do just about all glass installs.... dry.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
40+ degrees is best but if you have to do it do it! Just make the client aware that problems may arise in the future and that you are NOT responsible for this if they still want the lettering up now. Otherwise, wait for the net 40+ degree day.

Pretty simple. Let the client take make the decision. Just inform them!

Pippin Decals

what i do in cold weather is use my portable shop lights 1000watts ( 500x2) or 2 sets if needed and place them on the inside or outside of the glass and let them warm up slowly till the temp is good for adhesion. I did this on a 8'x9' store front glass window. been holding just fine with no issues for over 1 1/2 yrs now.

Pippin Decals

Also take an infared temp gauge with you and place a scrap piece of vinyl on the glass and then you have a way you can get an accurate temp reading like that as well.

Oroscoe

We won't install below 50 degrees just to be safe. I know we can get away lower temps but don't chance it. Not much of a problem in the southeast either.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We tell customers we can't do it less than 50 degrees, but sometimes you just have to.

If you do install in cold weather, heat up the surface as much as you can. Heat guns, lamps, whatever it takes. If you can't do that, clean it as well as you can with 91% IPA, cross your fingers, and hope you don't make any mistakes. Once it touches down, you're done; there's no readjusting the vinyl. If you do mess up, prepare yourself for a long process of removal, because the vinyl is going to be brittle and it's going to come off in tiny chunks.

If you get it to adhere and it stays on, count your lucky stars and pray you don't have to do it again any time soon.

MikePro

if using heat, which you may require to even get the adhesive to stick, be extremely careful about warming an area too fast.
the glass will expand in your hot spot, and surrounding glass will not, causing the pane to crack/shatter as a result.

on that same note, be very careful when peeling the backing off your vinyl, as the cold breeze will flutter your graphic and could cause it to snap into pieces in your hand (yes, really).

Starter

Check the specs on the vinyl.....Google. Different vinyl have different temp minimums when applying. Or you can guess.