• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Regular vinyl on reflective for signs?

donkur

Hi. Kind of new at signs still., wondering about making reflective signs. Was going to put a white reflective background on the dibond. Should I use reflective black and other reflective colors on top or would non-reflective vinyl work since the background is reflective? Thanks in advance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Different effects for different needs. Make a small sample and try it out.

Think about it...... if the whole background is reflective.... and then you add colored reflective on top..... do you really think anything is gonna stand out, unless you use varying grades of reflective ??

Personally, I think an entire reflective background is too much. I like reflective lettering on normal backgrounds.

donkur

Different effects for different needs. Make a small sample and try it out.

Think about it...... if the whole background is reflective.... and then you add colored reflective on top..... do you really think anything is gonna stand out, unless you use varying grades of reflective ??

Personally, I think an entire reflective background is too much. I like reflective lettering on normal backgrounds.

Well I know, that is why I am asking. Thinking non-reflective spot vinyl would be better, hoping to find someone who has created a sign like this and knows for sure.
Thanks.

henryz

Depends on the type of signage you are using now we just print everything reflective meaning background and wording. If its a non reflective background then we would stick with cut reflective vinyl. If it's a regulatory street sign then you'll need to use the correct reflective vinyl.

donkur

Depends on the type of signage you are using now we just print everything reflective meaning background and wording. If its a non reflective background then we would stick with cut reflective vinyl. If it's a regulatory street sign then you'll need to use the correct reflective vinyl.
Thanks for your reply. These are for 4x8 highways signs.

unclebun

The highway department uses reflective green or blue backgrounds on big signs, with reflective white lettering. Typically on signs like one way signs or other smaller traffic signs, the lettering is screenprinted onto a white reflective background. The lettering itself isn't really very reflective in that case.

You probably aren't selling these signs to the highway department, since they make their own, so you can likely do what you want. If it's black letters on a white background, I'd use the reflective white sheeting for the background and non-reflective black for the lettering.

donkur

The highway department uses reflective green or blue backgrounds on big signs, with reflective white lettering. Typically on signs like one way signs or other smaller traffic signs, the lettering is screenprinted onto a white reflective background. The lettering itself isn't really very reflective in that case.

You probably aren't selling these signs to the highway department, since they make their own, so you can likely do what you want. If it's black letters on a white background, I'd use the reflective white sheeting for the background and non-reflective black for the lettering.

Thanks. Giving thought to printing it. Just not sure which calendared vinyl is latex printable or if it would even be a good idea to print with latex. Eco-solvent might be better, more translucent? Wondering as well if laminating would hinder the reflectiveness. Should be okay?
Thanks.

2B

Thanks for your reply. These are for 4x8 highways signs.

Highway signs for a business or for the Department Of Transportation?
if it was for DOT, they have very exact criteria you must follow

Since it sounds like you have not worked with reflective, remember that BLACK REFLECTIVE will show as white when illuminated with light

donkur

Highway signs for a business or for the Department Of Transportation?
if it was for DOT, they have very exact criteria you must follow

Since it sounds like you have not worked with reflective, remember that BLACK REFLECTIVE will show as white when illuminated with light

Perfect. Thank-you! :)

papabud

Lone Wolf
most clients know what they want. and if its a bid job they have very tight specs and even down to which brand of which material printed their way.
even if they dont know exactly what they want, they know the look they are after.
do they want dot diamond reflective, or will just a basic reflective work.
lots of questions before planning anything

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure for Canada, but down here, you generally must be an authorized shop to produce highway signs. That alone, indicates that you know what you're doing. All of your questions make it sound like you are outta your league. Trying to break into this niche can be tricky and using a forum to find out is a little scary. You most likely should be reading up on your area's specs and asking the highway people these questions. Heck, they might not allow latex prints and only screen printed. Are you set up to screen print ??

donkur

I'm not sure for Canada, but down here, you generally must be an authorized shop to produce highway signs. That alone, indicates that you know what you're doing. All of your questions make it sound like you are outta your league. Trying to break into this niche can be tricky and using a forum to find out is a little scary. You most likely should be reading up on your area's specs and asking the highway people these questions. Heck, they might not allow latex prints and only screen printed. Are you set up to screen print ??

I live in the boonies. When entering small towns, there is a row of signs advertising the local businesses. Not highway signs really, business signs set up on farmland. The other signs at the side of the road look like crap, you cannot see them at all at night because whoever made them did not use reflective vinyl. I have done a couple with reflective text but never a reflective background.
Thanks for the vote of confidence by the way – that I am "outta my leage". LOL. As a matter of fact, I am leading the way. As mentioned above, others have not even attempted reflective. :D
I do appreciate your honesty though.

Last edited:

gabagoo

If you want to print the sign, I have printed full colour graphics on clear laminate, then laminate that and apply to the reflective coated board. Due to white reflective not being really white, colours can shift a bit, but they do look good...and a heck of a lot cheaper than cutting reflective copy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If these are not for the state or whatever the municipality is referred to up there, then you're fine doing anything. I got the distinct impression, these were municipal signs, when you said Highway Signs.

I still think a reflective background is not going to work out for you. You'll see it (a glare) from a distance, but as you close in on it, all the various reflective colors will tend to be bright whether die cut reflective or printed and just kinda blend. Do the sample like I suggested and find out first hand.

donkur

If you want to print the sign, I have printed full colour graphics on clear laminate, then laminate that and apply to the reflective coated board. Due to white reflective not being really white, colours can shift a bit, but they do look good...and a heck of a lot cheaper than cutting reflective copy.

Wow, that's something I have never heard of before. Thanks.

AKwrapguy

Thanks. Giving thought to printing it. Just not sure which calendared vinyl is latex printable or if it would even be a good idea to print with latex. Eco-solvent might be better, more translucent? Wondering as well if laminating would hinder the reflectiveness. Should be okay?
Thanks.

Oracal makes a reflective that works well for latex. I would not use 3M 3290 or 7930. I have had issues with both of those.

AKwrapguy

I live in the boonies. When entering small towns, there is a row of signs advertising the local businesses. Not highway signs really, business signs set up on farmland. The other signs at the side of the road look like crap, you cannot see them at all at night because whoever made them did not use reflective vinyl. I have done a couple with reflective text but never a reflective background.
Thanks for the vote of confidence by the way – that I am "outta my leage". LOL. As a matter of fact, I am leading the way. As mentioned above, others have not even attempted reflective. :D
I do appreciate your honesty though.

We do printed reflective all the time it works well. What latex machine are you using?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Oracal makes a reflective that works well for latex. I would not use 3M 3290 or 7930. I have had issues with both of those.
We are using a reflective for Latex which is made by Vandalguard, called Night Bright (www.nightbrightvinyl.com). We have printed maybe 20 rolls of the stuff, I have 10 here in shop waiting for a PO to come through to begin printing more. It seems to be pretty good and a LOT cheaper than Oracal or 3M. We laminate with 8518.