• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remodeled Website

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We've been changing over our digital art website over the last three months and have now taken it live. Instead of the old HTML site we've had up for more than 15 years, we now have a PHP, template and database driven site that allows use to offer capabilities similar to larger microstock sites, a lot more customer choices and, we hope, a better customer experience.

If you have time, please have a look at it and post your comments here. I'm a big boy and can take criticism, so give me the good, the bad and the ugly. Keep in mind that the software we're using comes with some limitations design-wise that we've had to accept. We've intentionally gone in a more colorful direction than most stock sites use ... which is a lot of white and gray space, so comments related to GUI and user friendliness are of high interest.

There are only a couple of dozen images uploaded so far. Therefore, some pages will look a bit sparse and will look better once we've had time to upload more images. We'd also appreciate knowing the size and resolution of the monitor you're using as well as what browser.

Thanks for your input. The site is located at: http://www.allcompu.com

rubo

Hi Fred, looks little aged - if you go with templates you could find some really nice responsive ones with sticky menus - a lot of people go online using their mobile devices - ipad, tablet, phone etc.. - much better user experience, don't have to drag the page all over to see what you want to see, no scroll bars - it's a pita on a smaller screen. Still working on mine, should be ready in a week or so, but you can see some sample sites - Google responsive templates. You mention database etc.. so I'm going to assume some kind of SMC - WordPress or Joomla will be safe guess - if not, check it out, you might find some great stuff for $40 or so.

ChrisN

The layout is fine, but IMHO, the brushed background makes the content hard to read. The black letters get kind of lost against the gray background. Even if it was solid gray it might make it easier to read, because the texture competes with the letters.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks nice and clean, but almost barren.... to bland. For me, not inviting, but then, I'm hard to please. Ease of maneuvering around is quite easy, even for a doofus like me on the computer.

:thumb:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The layout is fine, but IMHO, the brushed background makes the content hard to read. The black letters get kind of lost against the gray background. Even if it was solid gray it might make it easier to read, because the texture competes with the letters.

I like it... though I don't know if I am crazy about the brushed background!

I have done away with the brushed metal texture except in the header and footer and set the page color to gray and the box fills to light blue. It's certainly easier to read and more in keeping with all the stock image sites. Those who commented before: Do you like this better?

Marlene

for a website that isn't trying to market to the general public I like finding what I want without a lot of nonsense. I like this set up as it is easy to find what you are looking for. no need for spinning/flashing/in your face crap, just a good clean list of what you have

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, much better.

Didn't think that brushed effect had that much affect. :rolleyes:

artofacks1

I highly recommend you use bootstrap , foundation or any grid that will make your site responsive.

I am a front end engineer by day for Onestop.com and own sports live decals which I work on as my 2nd shift.

The stats are extremely high of tablet and phone users that surf the web.

My site is a work and progress... Http://www.sportslivedecals.com but open it in a browser and change the browser window size and you will see how the layout responds all the way down to a mobile phone.

thewvsignguy

I like the ease of use of the site, pretty easy to get around and find what I'm looking for. Everything reads fine to me and is neatly laid out.

I do think some of the images are dated compared to other sites. I know you said things are limited at this point.....

I prefer to have a flat rate subscription to a clipart site. We have employes and I can give log in info to those who need it, plus I can see what they are downloading for projects.

just my .02....

HulkSmash

Still looks very dated to me.

You should consider a few things.

1. Make the search bar more visible.. as i would assume this would be the most used application on your website..

make it more focal.. more prominent.

2. I wouldn't have so many image previews on the home page. I'd consider non scrolling.

3. the large carbon fiber display looks pretty bad. I'd shrink it down and make it more appealing. If you're going to have a display scroll... which you shouldn't.. i'd put your best images on there....

overall good start..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I highly recommend you use bootstrap , foundation or any grid that will make your site responsive.

I am a front end engineer by day for Onestop.com and own sports live decals which I work on as my 2nd shift.

The stats are extremely high of tablet and phone users that surf the web.

My site is a work and progress... Http://www.sportslivedecals.com but open it in a browser and change the browser window size and you will see how the layout responds all the way down to a mobile phone.

Looks like a great addition but time constraints as well as budget constraints to have a third party add Bootstrap mean that I will have to defer any action of it. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I like the ease of use of the site, pretty easy to get around and find what I'm looking for. Everything reads fine to me and is neatly laid out.

I do think some of the images are dated compared to other sites. I know you said things are limited at this point.....

I prefer to have a flat rate subscription to a clipart site. We have employes and I can give log in info to those who need it, plus I can see what they are downloading for projects.

just my .02....

Subscriptions are on my To Do List ... just haven't decided on the structure and the prices. I lean towards the type that is more like a package rather than so many a day for however many days. In other words, the buyer purchases a subscription for 25 images at a discount for X dollars and they can download them as they need them over an extended period of time. It isn't a whole lot different than the Credits packages already up except that they would be flat rated.

I think the more widely used subscription format of x number a day for x number of days devalues the art ... but I'm somewhat biased in that regard.

avidsram

phone number in the header. instantly builds trust and some customers will just call before even browsing site.