• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remote desktop

kanini

What remote desktop programs/services do you guys use?
I have used TeamViewer from home to connect to my work PC at evenings to do one or two invoices, sales orders etc. I liked the software but now they want at least 39,- a month for a licence and I am looking at options on the market before I decide to buy. If TeamViewer is the best then I'll get that but just wanted to check what others use. Windows PC environment. Thanks for any suggestion or opinion! ☺

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I use team viewer. I think if you use it ALOT they will give you a warning about them thinking your a business and will ask you about purchasing it...but I always just click that away.

I used to love LogMeIn though.. Wish that was still around.

ikarasu

I use TeamViewer .your supposed to pay if it's work related... But 99% of the time me using TeamViewer is for personal save myself some time and do some files use.

LogMeIn is also great.. but again, expensive.

Realvnc is less robust... But $40 a year.

Tightvnc is on par with realvnc, open-source and 100% free.

Real/tight require a bit more knowledge in setting them up, but both work for light use. If your vncing a lot...TeamViewer is great and worth it.

Pippin Decals

I use teamviewer several tines daily and never get a notice about anything.I do tons of filing transferring as well with customers. And i have a few buddies back east that always need help with designing or computer issues and still free.

Joe House

From the TeamViewer website:
Completely free for personal use*
*Personal use is limited to computers and devices that are not being used for business or other commercial tasks.

WildWestDesigns

I thought team viewer only charged for enterprise. I thought it was free for personal use.

Based on this, it is being used for commercial use:

I have used TeamViewer from home to connect to my work PC at evenings to do one or two invoices, sales orders etc.

Not high volume, but it is for commercial purposes.

Having said that, when I was on Windows machines, I've never noticed anything other then a please upgrade if you like what you've experienced so far, but nothing in terms of demanding or anything like that.

I'm more of an SSH person myself. On a Windows environment, that would mean something like PuTTY if you are wanting a graphical appliance to do this. It's OK, not too bad. Otherwise, for simplicity and ease of use TeamViewer is it, unless you want to go RMM (which will give you a whole helluva lot more then just remote in uses).

kanini

Thank you all for great inputs, I'll look at some of the options mentioned. Yes, it is probably considered commercial use so that's why I consider buying TeamViewer as well as it's giving me the popup asking to buy. But on the other hand it is more expensive than Illustrator or Corel a month, and considering I use it a couple of times a month it feels actually a bit expensive for the functionality.

I also stumbled upon the RemotePC which I used a couple years ago, need to check that out as well as the chrome remote desktop mentioned by JBurton.
I agree with equippaint that you have to bee a bit selective with these kinds of software as well.
Thanks all again for the input!

ikarasu

I'm a bit iffy with TeamViewer on my work pc tbh.

About a year ago I had a few grand charged through my PayPal. PayPal refused to refund it because it came from my browser... Which I thought was odd. I checked.my history and sure enough on that date at 3 am someone went to a bunch of Chinese sites and PayPal.

I checked TeamViewer log... And someone logged in. I had 2FA installed so it should have been impossible. Contacted TeamViewer... They also confirmed 2FA was installed, and it should be impossible so I'm mistaken .sent them my tv logs... And they confirmed it .turns out they had a huge databreach... Tons of people on Reddit tv forums had their TeamViewer hacked.

It can happen to any software. TeamViewer is probably one of the safer ones security wise... But it's also one of the most popular, which makes it.the most targeted.

Remote desktop is a godsend, just make sure you don't give anyone potential access to something that would hurt you.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Remote desktop is a godsend, just make sure you don't give anyone potential access to something that would hurt you.

Unfortunately, having production (or any computers actually) rigs WAN access is giving "potential access" to computers that wouldn't be good. What happens with software such as this, is that chink is actually made even bigger, because here you have a software that was installed by someone with su(do) access on their own accord with an open port for an outside connection. That adds to that potential, regardless of the software chosen.

Don't get me wrong, remote access is great, unfortunately it exposes a network even more so then just having computer(s) attached to a WAN period.

This "always connected" has it's pros and has it's cons, but to me the cons actually outweigh the pros.

shoresigns

I thought team viewer only charged for enterprise. I thought it was free for personal use.
FYI the term personal use usually means you're using it at home, by yourself, for yourself, and not for anyone else outside of your home. It definitely never includes any use by a business or organization, no matter how small they are.

We occasionally use Chrome Remote Desktop to log in remotely. It does the job, we don't use it a lot, and it's free.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm a bit iffy with TeamViewer on my work pc tbh.

About a year ago I had a few grand charged through my PayPal. PayPal refused to refund it because it came from my browser... Which I thought was odd. I checked.my history and sure enough on that date at 3 am someone went to a bunch of Chinese sites and PayPal.

I checked TeamViewer log... And someone logged in. I had 2FA installed so it should have been impossible. Contacted TeamViewer... They also confirmed 2FA was installed, and it should be impossible so I'm mistaken .sent them my tv logs... And they confirmed it .turns out they had a huge databreach... Tons of people on Reddit tv forums had their TeamViewer hacked.

It can happen to any software. TeamViewer is probably one of the safer ones security wise... But it's also one of the most popular, which makes it.the most targeted.

And the lesson is.... Never leave $$ in paypal.. They have 6 ways from Sunday to screw you.

equippaint

Unfortunately, having production (or any computers actually) rigs WAN access is giving "potential access" to computers that wouldn't be good. What happens with software such as this, is that chink is actually made even bigger, because here you have a software that was installed by someone with su(do) access on their own accord with an open port for an outside connection. That adds to that potential, regardless of the software chosen.

Don't get me wrong, remote access is great, unfortunately it exposes a network even more so then just having computer(s) attached to a WAN period.

This "always connected" has it's pros and has it's cons, but to me the cons actually outweigh the pros.
This is exactly why we won't use one, it's convenient but a huge risk. Not speaking for everyone but you forget just how much information we actually have on our PCs, tax returns, quarterly filings, employee personal info, customer info, SS numbers, etc etc. Employee stuff is 100% your responsibility and you can ruin someones life by being irresponsible. You're granting some unknown company access to this and people here are OK with using whoever because its free. Its naive to think that you are safe and Huawei is the prime example of this.

ikarasu

And the lesson is.... Never leave $$ in paypal.. They have 6 ways from Sunday to screw you.
I didn't, but I had my credit card tied to them. I suspect thats why they decided to reverse the funds, I threatened to do a chargeback since my CC would protect me and they wouldn't. They threatened me with closing my account... told them for $2000+ I didn't give a shit :D I just found it funny someone remote logged in, went to paypal and bought stuff. Paypals one click buy is great though.