• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal 4 yr old Oracal

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have a 4year old wrap to remove. The vinyl was 3951ra. I don't know why I let myself get talked into using oracal but I did. Now it's time to remove and rewrap two vans and it's not removing like 3M. Does anyone have any advice besides lighting it on fire and calling the fire department?

Right now I am trying the tried and true method of getting the vinyl right temperature with torch or heat gun but it is painfully slow. I fully prepared to pay for using Oracals vinyl (never again) but if there is a better method out there, I could use it.

Thanks in advance

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I have a weed burner just didn't have a tank at the time. Initially it felt like it worked better when it wasn't supper hot. I gave up for the day and dreading tomorrow.

BobM

Wallpaper steamer, heat lamp tree, inch by inch. Finding the right temperature and keeping it ahead of you as you peel is the trick. Rapid Remove for the residue glue. Good luck.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
This stuff worked for me:
http://www.crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-vinyl-off.htm
First time I tried to use it I didn't read or follow the instructions.
Let it sit for more than a year and tried a second time - following the instructions.
Worked really well.

It took old cracked vinyl that was coming off in little chips and softened it up so that it could be pulled up in big rubbery sheets like a latex glove.
Any glue left behind could be scraped off with a smooth squeegee.
You do have to be careful around plastic parts - like color matched grills and window moldings. If it sits too long it will soften them up too.

wayne k
guam usa