• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remove vinyl or cover over it??

CoryP

I put stripes on this trailer about 6 or 7 years ago, I know I used some cheap avery vinyl, and now my friend wants to change the color of his logos and the stripes. Can I just apply new vinyl right over top or would it be best to tackle the task of removing it all then applying. That of course is if the vinyl is not really damaged that I would have to take it off, I haven't seen the trailer up close yet.

Attachments

• trucktrailer-002.jpg
    trucktrailer-002.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 244

appligraphics

You could apply over,make sure area is clean, no lifting has occurred in recessed areas, whatever is under will show over. removal is best, lots of heat

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
if the customer expects the new stripes to last the 6-7 years, strip and remove the old stuff....if you dont, as soon as the material underneath begins to fail, the new stuff you put on top will fail...

personally, just because it's an avery vinyl underneath i wouldn't risk NOT stripping it off...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what fenris said.

That old stuff is about on it's last leg for holding and gripping power. It's going to start letting go and it will take the new stuff with it. The new vinyl is only going to hold onto the old stuff, so how could you justify giving this customer a professional job, if you didn't do it correctly ??

Remove all the old, clean well and re-apply.

Another thing..... consider using a different manufacturer for your vinyl. That is the longest last vinyl story I've ever heard of for A V E R Y . You're one lucky person in that department.

CoryP

Thanks for your help, I will be using 180cv3, thats all I really use now, and I would feel better about the job I do if I do remove the old stuff, I like to go the extra step for this guy though, he helps me out on my cars, I wouldnt want him to go cheap when working on my car

sjm

if the customer expects the new stripes to last the 6-7 years, strip and remove the old stuff....if you dont, as soon as the material underneath begins to fail, the new stuff you put on top will fail...

personally, just because it's an avery vinyl underneath i wouldn't risk NOT stripping it off...

If the customer expects 6-7 years. That is the operative question, I think.

Mosh

Remove it if they want it to look good. If they are just want it covered do that if you want. My shop would never do it, we only put out top stuff, covering it would not be that.

sjm

Remove it if they want it to look good. If they are just want it covered do that if you want. My shop would never do it, we only put out top stuff, covering it would not be that.

Of course, considering that's what the client is willing to pay for.

Mosh

Of course, considering that's what the client is willing to pay for.

If it is not quality it does not come out of my shop. I would turn down the job instead of cutting loose some cover-up that looks like crap. Have some pride! Do you make signs for a fast buck or cause you like to make signs? I like making great signs (and stripes) and the money part is down about 5 or 6 on the list.
Soemone sees that and finds out where it came from, no way you are going to want that.

sjm

If it is not quality it does not come out of my shop. I would turn down the job instead of cutting loose some cover-up that looks like crap. Have some pride! Do you make signs for a fast buck or cause you like to make signs? I like making great signs (and stripes) and the money part is down about 5 or 6 on the list.
Soemone sees that and finds out where it came from, no way you are going to want that.

Hey if my client comes to me saying he wants new vinyl graphics put over his old graphic because he can't afford a new one, I would never say no. But to each his own I guess.

Mosh

I guess if you want your shop putting out that kind of work, and you are short on cash go right ahead....just saying it is not the correct way of doing it.

it is YOUR shop's rep on the line, not mine!

ProWraps

all answers are good, except sometimes, that stuff welds itself to the paint or annodizing and removing would do more damage than good and/or be cost prohibitive for the customer. thats the real question. unfortunately it boils down to what the customer is will to pay for and/or incur.

we go over some, we remove others. the problem with this thread is that an accurate assement of the situation is impossible without being present to see the vehicle and make the call.

sjm

I guess if you want your shop putting out that kind of work, and you are short on cash go right ahead....just saying it is not the correct way of doing it.

it is YOUR shop's rep on the line, not mine!

He's my client to begin with, I should say no?

Mosh

My point is, if you are not comfortible doing something that you feel is going to be top notch, then say no. Why put out something that will look like crap and then a future customer sees it. If you need the work and don't care, do it.
If this is one of your pals, do it, but tell them to not tell where it was done.

Last edited:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Beautiful truck and trailer... How much did that setup cost?...
I'm amazed low-end film was even considered for that job... How much did you save them?...:popcorn:

A cast film Band-Aid won't last very long. I'd strip the old graphics/charge accordingly and re-letter that puppy the right way.

sjm

My point is, if you are not comfortible doing something that you feel is going to be top notch, then say no. Why put out something that will look like crap and then a future customer sees it. If you need the work and don't care, do it.
If this is one of your pals, do it, but tell them to not tell where it was done.

My point is let your client decide once you have explained everything. Seems to me you understand your clients budget better than they do?

Let me give you an example a while ago we produced 50 - 4x8 display pieces for one of our clients. All different for their various products but as they had just merged with someone else the static header at the top of each display piece they wanted changing to reflect the new partnership. They had a limited budget so I suggested we overlay the new static section with the new company colours.

Yes, they were pleased and we came in under budget too. Go figure!