• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Arlon Truck Wrap

daenterpri

A customer hired me to remove vehicle wrap graphics since they sold their truck. A different sign company in town did this wrap and they used Arlon. One side came off fairly clean, but the other side is coming off horribly. It's like the adhesive and the truck have become one and it will not come off.

I've used heat and it doesn't seem to work. And where it will come off, it leaves the adhesive on the truck. And the adhesive doesn't seem to gel up like most adhesives do with RapidRemover. I'm not sure what to do to remove the rest of these graphics so any help would be appreciated.

I've attached some pictures. In one picture you can see drip lines in the adhesive that makes me wonder if the last sign company used some sort of adhesive along all the edges. Is that possible? Along all the edges is where the trouble is.

Attachments

• wrap-carnage.jpg
    wrap-carnage.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 128
  • wrap-carnage2.jpg
    wrap-carnage2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 90
  • wrap-carnage4.jpg
    wrap-carnage4.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 87
  • wrap-handle.jpg
    wrap-handle.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 64

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Wowza! Looks like someone went nuts with primer 94 using a big dripping wet paintbrush. Lol, that's gunna su"k. Sorry but you have your work cut out for you. Gallon of xylol, get a rag truly sopping wet with it, keep the primer and adhesive wet for a minute or two, use a white chizler and scrape a layer off, repeat many many times. Careful with the xylol around any plastics, rubber trim, etc. The car will be in severe need of a wax job when its done. Hope you quoted hourly on this....

daenterpri

Yes, I'm hourly on this :)

This is on a very very nice Dodge pickup... some I'm trying to be cautious. But ya, it's been miserable so far. :(

Thanks for your help!

401Graphics

i would inform the customer that the company that wrapped it really screwed it up, and possible damage may occur

daenterpri

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried he Xylol idea for about an hour this evening. I was only able to get about 8-10 sq/in in about 1 hours time. There are a good 300+ sq/in left. I sent them an email this evening informing them of everything to see how they would like me to proceed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have that Primer on my shelf, but I've never felt the need to use it... and now I probably never will! It's a nightmare.

visual800

oh hell no I wouldnt have taken this on! Ive been asked to remove the wrappings and tell them to go back to who did it. I refuse!

Suz

Wow! You must have sore arms and I'm sure your lungs aren't happy either. Hopefully you are wearing a mask. This is brutal on the body, hope you survive!! I've been removing some old cad cut vinyl on many square feet of aluminum faced signage, trying to salvage to save my Client some money when making new signs, but feeling sorry for myself. It's a lot of work!!!! But seeing what you have to do, I don't feel so sorry for me! Anyhow, hang in there! Please post a pic when you get done with this and show us how it looks.

signage

Wow! I've been removing some old cad cut vinyl on many square feet of aluminum faced signage, trying to salvage to save my Client some money when making new signs, but feeling sorry for myself. It's a lot of work!!!!

Suz isn't your time worth more than the aluminum? I think we have all done this only to learn we/you are better off replacing the aluminum.

J

john1

Suz isn't your time worth more than the aluminum? I think we have all done this only to learn we/you are better off replacing the aluminum.

I don't like you, But do agree with you on this reply. :thumb:

daenterpri

My fingers are very very sore this morning. Don't worry, I used a mask and a gloves :) Still waiting to hear back from the customer on how they wanted to proceed. I probably have a good 300+ sq/in left and last night it took me an hour to do 10 sq/in!!!!

I've advised them to have their own employees complete this since it's expensive to have me out there for another 10-30 hours. However, I may advise them to take it to who they got the wrap from.

Thanks folks!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It generally will get the job done without damaging the paint. Not very pleasant stuff but it works well. Just don't try it on a trailer or some low end single stage enamel paints. It can soften and remove them.

We always have a couple of gallons of xylol around though. Works faster than most anything else but we do keep some less aggressive stuff around as well for more delicate finishes and surfaces.

Glad you were able to get it done and it worked for you. As I mentioned, the paint is absolutely unprotected now, it desperately needs to be thoroughly washed and waxed asap.