Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Channel Letter Tracking

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by rydods, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Florence, Wi
    Hi, does anyone know what the safest way to remove the tracking from a face without braking the face? It's glued on not screwed. I heat it up and pull and it's starting to pull away but it's a slow process. Anyone have any good ideas?

Tags:
  2. kgirl

kgirl Active Member

Apr 25, 2005
    San Diego
    why are you removing?...

3. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Let me guess, you customer wanted to save money....new faces!

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    i crack it off away from the acrylic like so:

Attached Files:

5. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Florence, Wi
    You are correct Mosh, customer wants to re-use the faces for a regular translucent vinyl lettered lighted sign. Thanks! The face is poly so im thinking the tracks should pull off without hurting the faces but just wanted to check to see if there was an easy way to do this.

6. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Letter Tracks? I think you may mean Letter Trim? The plastic edging around the Acrylic Channel Letter Faces?

If so, you can hit the joint with a little of the Weldon glue that is used to adhere the letter trim (the watery stuff). For about 3 seconds, it will soften the bond and you can remove it. Work in sections of about 10-12" around each letter. Then, please, use the old letters only as a pattern to make the customer some new faces so we don't suspect you're a hack.

Good luck.

7. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    labor>new faces

8. Signguyno1

Signguyno1 Active Member

Jun 27, 2006
    It's glued, your screwed. NEW FACES!