• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Exterior Door handles on Ford Transit Connect

cwilliams74

Installing graphics on a 2012 Ford Transit Connect and wondering if anyone has an idea on how to remove the door handles rather than cutting around them....????

paul luszcz

You have to remove the interior panels to expose a hole in the sheet metal through which you detach the handle. You'll need tools to remove various sizes of star washers (#10, 20 and 30 if I recall).

Sounds complicated but isn't really. Just don't damage the water shield.

dawg

we made one ...

yes afterall it is not difficult..
a separated part on the forum would be great for similar issues..

before the connect we made a dodge van that was simple.. because after loosing up the screws on the door edges the handle comes out.. (flipped out)

on the connect..

i describe the order i could figure.. others might have more simple way..

first interior panel removed ....
behind interior handle a small tab, need a picker to flip out also the interior ""grabber"" has the lid you remove and behind two
screws..

next the lock cylinder under the handle.. pull out the clip inside ..
put key into cylinder open lock, and with a screwdriver push the tab on the cylinder side, inside in the door..
twist the lock and it comes out

next detach the small rod that connecting between doorhandle and lock unit inside..
it is a plastic ""snap"" ... open and pull towrd you the rod that has a little thread on its end

here i removed the glass rail, that closer to the dooredge.. 3 M6 bolts hold it.. it might not necessary, however made further work easier..

next on the door edge, you see 3 screws, bolthead around the door latch.. turn off themm and lockmechanism falling down inside

now you can llok trough on the opening where door latch with lock mecanism was located, and you can see a panhed screwhead with star bit 30 mightbe other size,... i dont know the size i tried one that fit..
turn out the screw and you will ""feel"" it is out, then turn back about 2 turn..

next with a plastic pry off the small lid front of the handle

now you can flip out the handle..

hope it helps the next readers.. for me took hours unfortunately to finding out..

i also was thinking on the back doorhinges.. life would be lot simpler without them :)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I hear the newest Transit Connect exterior handles are much easier to remove. Anyone know anything about them? We are about to wrap one and its always nice to know any gotcha's ahead of time......

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I did not find anything on the new style 2014+ ones.....

That being said I figured it out and they did make them incredibly easy. Its almost as if Ford was thinking about wrap installers. The side door handles, one captive screw accessible from behind a plastic cap on the edge of the door. The side rolling doors do require removal of the door panels (they are wood with plastic clips and very easy) then 1 single captive screw. Rear, cap and a single captive screw. License tag lights, one small wood panel on the door. Big side plastic pieces just pop right off as do the triangle pieces in front of the mirrors (the mirrors themselves would require fully removal of the front door panels which I did not do). Also the little front grille, push in, up and pull out the bottom edge, then tug at the top edge and it pops right out as well. The front fender marker lights, 7you press against them while turning and they will come out very easily as well.

Overall it was a very simple job to remove things. The front door handles, literally about 30 seconds each to remove them.