• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

removing grommets

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Funny how everyone assumed I was referring to a banner. lol
25 double-sided 18"h x 24"w .040 alum with 2 grommets at the top and 2 at the bottom. Customer approved the proof which clearly indicated brass colored grommets. Now wants them black.
I saw a tool possibly available at JoAnn's. It's pliers for installing and removing grommets but not too confident.
Tried drilling, using a "ball" shaped grinding bit, a drill bit tool that's meant for boring out holes, various other type pliers, sheers, dikes etc. Another problem is that the alum is covered with a decal on both sides so too much heat causes issues too.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Yes, painting them is what I suggested.
This customer has been nothing but a pia (realtor) from the get go. Originally had these signs outsourced for print. Didn't like the color. You mean the vector logo you gave us! So we agreed to just cover over them with decals after extensive colors swatch tests to get the perfect formula! Grommets or no grommets? No grommets, Ok. Days later "changed my mind, I want grommets" Ok, here, you got grommets. Oh, I want black grommets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You wanna take out 100 grommets and replace them with new ones, because of the color.......

I'd make 200 vinyl templates, which would take maybe 10 minutes to cut and $5. worth of vinyl. Put them down over top of all of them both sides.. Now, either carefully spray them or dab them with a sponge brush. Whole thing shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours not counting dry time. Charge them dearly for their mistake.​

signage

Did they approve the work as done (color on proof)?

If so then before I would go anyfurthurer I would makesue they know it will cost XX, and have them sign off on it and get the payment! Realestate cleints are usually the worst!

Chriswagner92

Yeah, if they changed their minds after signing off on it, then it is 100% on them, especially if you had them physically sign off on it. Always cover your butt.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes, painting them is what I suggested.
This customer has been nothing but a pia (realtor) from the get go. Originally had these signs outsourced for print. Didn't like the color. You mean the vector logo you gave us! So we agreed to just cover over them with decals after extensive colors swatch tests to get the perfect formula! Grommets or no grommets? No grommets, Ok. Days later "changed my mind, I want grommets" Ok, here, you got grommets. Oh, I want black grommets.
UGH. Sounds like a PITA customer to me also! I do find Realtors to be hard to work with and cheap!

Andy D

I have used a regular metal drill bill that's slightly larger than the OD of the grommet's barrel.
A couple of tips:
- Use a drill press if available
- Wear safety glassed
- Get a tube of drilling wax, cut it in half & stick the drill bit into the wax before each grommet
- Wear gloves, and clamp or hold tight, the bit will want to catch & spinning metal will cut the F out of you quick.

Andy D

613N7yQNE2L._AC_SY355_.jpg