• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Hardened One Shot?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
From what ??
What color ??
How long has it been on ??
What size area are we talking ??

the graphics co

From what ?? Chevy Express Van
What color ?? Many Colors, gradients, and airbrushed elements as well
How long has it been on ?? 4+ Years
What size area are we talking ?? Logos, taglines, phone numbers, custom striping, and assorted other elements on 3 sides of the van. There will be two more just like it over the next week or so.

The paint is hard, the easy off isn't softening it at all, what is coming off is coming off in chunks.

Smacka

Try Forby's paint & stain remover. Its made for wood but I have used it on old painted metal and vinyl without issue.

Revision: If you use this you may have to resurface the cleaned area depending on the condition of the paint underneath. (don't leave on too long)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you're approaching this wrong.

Sounds like the guy should take his truck to a body shop and have them stripped and re-painted. That's far too much area to remove all the paint and not ruin the vehicle's original paint job. Other than white, you're going to haze the existing paint. You're heading for trouble and possibly even a lawsuit if you don't do this right and tell him to have a professional remove it.

Are you going to be lettering right over top of what you're removing or is an altogether new theme ??
Are you going to be hand-painting it or using vinyl ??

d fleming

+1

Sounds like the guy should take his truck to a body shop and have them stripped and re-painted. That's far too much area to remove all the paint and not ruin the vehicle's original paint job. Other than white, you're going to haze the existing paint. You're heading for trouble and possibly even a lawsuit if you don't do this right and tell him to have a professional remove it.

Are you going to be lettering right over top of what you're removing or is an altogether new theme ??

gabagoo

I remember using easy off about 20 years ago, and although it takes the one shot off, it does a number on the car paint as well.

SignManiac

No question but to have it repainted first if he wants it to look professional. He can spend $300 for a Maaco paint job or $1,000 for a better job at a auto body shop. All depends on the condition of the van as to whether it's worth going that route and how long does he intend to keep it?

If the van is on it's last legs, he might be better off throwing a wrap on it and just going over the old lettering.

the graphics co

The trucks are white, one will be out of service and sold, the other two will be re-done with a combination of hand painting and vinyl lettering.

Are you saying the body shop should strip and repaint the whole truck?

If there is hazing, is that something that can be buffed out? or will it permanently damage the paint?

Thanks,
Cameron

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tell him to sell the one 'as is'. Give the buyer some incentive and knock a few bucks off and let the buyer remove the graphics and copy after purchase.

As for the other two, I don't think I'd have enough elbow grease to take all that hand-painted stuff off of six remaining sides and still have a nice look in the end. Two doors, maybe, but not an entire vehicle... let alone double the trouble.

No, not a complete paint job, unless it warrants it. A body shop will either sand or wet sand the painted areas so nothing telegraphs through the paint. Otherwise, you'd have an embossed effect and could easily read what was on after painting. Then paint the truck or feather in depending where certain paint lines end or not. Wait a few weeks and then do your thing. Buffing generally does not take out color staining in paint. If you burn the paint using chemicals or damage it in any way, shape or form, you'll be on the hook for a new paint job, so beat this guy to the punch and tell him to go have it done. You're a letterer, not a body shop.

AUTO-FX

You're a letterer, not a body shop.

zackaly

I've had some luck removing that paint with enamel reducer and a grey scuff pad. Rub lightly so as not to go through the paint underneath. Buffing with a machine polisher will be required. And yes, you will still see where the lettering was, but it's good enough for sending the vehicle to the auction or whatever.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Pass on the removal; your most likely asking for trouble.

If your a gambling man you need oven cleaner that contains lye. Not sure if it's still available.

Jillbeans

Easy Off removal is tricky, as you are learning.
Have you tried taking it to a wishy-washy carwash and having at it with the wand and hot water?
I would leave it up to the owners to get the vans cleaned, personally.
Some jobs simply aren't worth it.
Then of course you can re-letter them.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

The problem with this is hardener, even if this was lettered before tree huggers wrecked 1Shot this makes it hard as a good automotive paint.

Cleaning off with Easy Off might work but more then likely also vans paint also.

Sanding will most likely be the fastest way to remove graphics and repainting body shops are best suited for this.