• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing oxidation from vehicle after graphics removed?

seattle

Hello,

I got an old qwest van and the graphics were removed however you can still see where they were. I think its the oxidation (Its smooth just discolered) thats left??/

I knew a old skool vinyl guy and there was a chemical that removed this really really easy, but for the life of me cant remember what its called.

Im sure someone here knows Thanks!!!:help

49hd

Don't know about a straight out chemical. Automotive rubbing compound and elbow grease will do it.

P

ProWraps™

i doubt this is whats going on. typically when graphics are removed from a vehicle the area of the graphic was protected from the elements and sun leaving what looks like view of the graphic in the paint. its actually the paint has been protected where the graphic was and the paint around it has been faded/damaged.

southpawP8NTR

Buffer, but if your not experienced with one you may burn the paint. Then again you may want to talk to someone who works in a body shop and see what they will charge to do it after hours. Good luck!

sarge

it is my opinion that tecdaddy is on target .. walk away from the job because it is going to take to much time for the money .. cuz i am sure it will need a new paint job .. and if they had the money they wouldnt be buying a worn out qwest truck

seattle

i doubt this is whats going on. typically when graphics are removed from a vehicle the area of the graphic was protected from the elements and sun leaving what looks like view of the graphic in the paint. its actually the paint has been protected where the graphic was and the paint around it has been faded/damaged.

Yes you are exactly right. I worked with an older sign guy, he knew a specific chemical you could get that would make this disappear with almost no trouble.

Someone heres gotta know what that stuff is..

Ohh and its no sign guy trying to sell it. So it doesnt have the name like graphicsgone! etc.

P

ProWraps™

unless the chemical destroys the paint under the graphic to match the paint around it that has been subject to the elements, its no good.

do yourself a favor and tell your client this is what it is. we wont warranty it and we cant provent against it. its time for a good set of documentation.

slappy

it's sun fade. we put our name on a black trailer for less then 2 weeks, and it left the shadow cause it was in the sun. I tried everything to remove it... from adhesive remover to 3m rubbing compound to waxing..... Nothing worked. Luckily, the guy that bought it didn't mind. I've seen the trailer around a few times and you can no longer tell it was there. The sun will catch the paint up, just tell him not to park in the shade:) good luck

WILLIAMS

Hit it with a buffer using 3M Rubbing Compound. finish up with using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and a foam pad on the buffer. Works well for us.

curtrnev

If you are not good with a buffer you can leave swirl marks or burn the paint as stated above.I use a Porter Cable random orbit buffer,you can't screw up with it. You can also wet sand with 1600 and start from there with your buffing. Good luck!

wes70

As Tecdaddy and slammedxonair stated, the area under the vinyl is not the problem. It's the rest of the vehicle that has faded. Tell them to take it to an autobody shop or detailer to have the vehicle buffed out.

OldPaint

some of the old timers would use BON-AMI. its a mild abrasive, and i think it is more aggressive then RUBBING COMPOUND.

WILLIAMS

If you are not good with a buffer you can leave swirl marks or burn the paint

the hand glaze will take care of the swirls and will leave a nice shine. if you're uncomfortable w/ a buffer or have little experience I would just sub it out to a body or detail shop.

seattle

I am not looking for a type of rubbing compound.

There is a chemical that will take this away. I am 100% sure of this as I have used it in the past. I just cannot remember what it is called.

When I find out I will post it here.

MarkFP

Won't Work...

The above comments are correct, if the vehicle has a factory finish, it has a clear coat and the pigment is sun faded beyond the (prior) protected areas. There is no way to "get to" the actual color coat beyond letting the sun do its' magic.

Many old laquers and enamels could be "restored" with a mineral oil based (Liquid Ebony) product and some old timers would actually add a small amount of kerosene to their wash water to work a short lived restoration of the finish.

I've refinished thousands of vehicles over thirty years with every type of material, one of the most problematic issues is the ghost of signs removed. :doh: