• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing PDF security on Mac and PC

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So recently we’ve been getting a lot of PDF’s with mostly covid related stuff that has security. Mostly allowing printing but no manipulation at all and 9 times out of ten they don’t have bleeds or need something altered.

The current fix is open on the Mac using preview, print, choose size options etc then in the bottom left just hit “Save as PDF”. Voila, all security gone.

basically preview just ignores anything that Adobe adds on with the security.

This is a decent fix (and feel free to use it if you don’t already!) but means all the press operators are sending me a few files a day with security that needs removed. (Or sending back to customer).

The trouble is, all the machines running the presses are on windows 10. Does anyone have a similar workflow for PC that doesn’t require uploading to the internet? (Trying to avoid any data protection issues).

So recently we’ve been getting a lot of PDF’s with mostly covid related stuff that has security. Mostly allowing printing but no manipulation at all and 9 times out of ten they don’t have bleeds or need something altered.

The current fix is open on the Mac using preview, print, choose size options etc then in the bottom left just hit “Save as PDF”. Voila, all security gone.

basically preview just ignores anything that Adobe adds on with the security.

This is a decent fix (and feel free to use it if you don’t already!) but means all the press operators are sending me a few files a day with security that needs removed. (Or sending back to customer).

The trouble is, all the machines running the presses are on windows 10. Does anyone have a similar workflow for PC that doesn’t require uploading to the internet? (Trying to avoid any data protection issues).

On a pc you can "print" to pdf with a virtual printer (like the free cutePDF) it removes the 'protection' from pdf-s that allows printing

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Have tried that but if you open it in anything Adobe based and print to PDF it retains the security.

What are you opening the PDF’s in?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Try Foxit PhantomPDF. It's a stupid name but it's a legit software. I use it instead of Adobe actually. It's free but they will ask you to upgrade to a premium account that allows all features to be used. The free version still allows you to print to PDF from there and it uses it's own virtual printer rather than going through Adobe so it might do the trick. Worth a shot.

WildWestDesigns

Be careful with the print to pdf functionality and the like. They tend to rasterize the contents (unless that has changed with programs like CutePDF(I no longer have used that due to not being on Windows anymore)).

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
iPrintStuff said:

I don't understand why anyone would be sending PDFs meant for production with any kind of password security.

It's another thing to password block the edit functions in a scale drawing sketch sent to a client, particularly if it's a client that might shop around your sketches to rival shops. But since the function is so easily bypassed one might as well rasterize the contents of the client sketch, and maybe do other things to further degrade the artwork. It's easy enough to do. For the giggles, password protect the sketch anyway. That way when a rival breaks the security he'll find little value in the contents anyway.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Again. It’s mostly covid related stuff, quite a lot of it is government/health service stuff so I guess they password protect it in order to stop anyone further down the line changing it before it gets to us.

Even with print enabled on the PDF our rip/press software doesn’t like the files at all and won’t let us do basic things like step them up onto larger sheets, add bleeds etc.

WildWestDesigns

Even with print enabled on the PDF our rip/press software doesn’t like the files at all and won't let us do basic things like step them up onto larger sheets, add bleeds etc.

What I believe is happening is that the programs are respecting the "DRM" on the files. Technically, here in the states, how the law is, if something came with DRM, it cannot be stripped away (at least legally), no matter how simple it may be to circumvent that DRM. Now, as to if one likes that or not, or what one's beliefs are on the situation that is something else.

With printing enabled, will it allow you to print as is? Adding bleeds, changing sheets etc are in my mind, technically still editing the file(s). While "as is" may not be what you want, it would at least give a hint as if it's just merely honoring the DRM or maybe it just doesn't like PDF files with security at all on it (which is also possible).