Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing used Liner from take up roll

Discussion in 'Laminators' started by K Chez, May 18, 2018 at 9:44 AM.

1. K Chez

K Chez Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Howell, NJ
    Anyone have any tricks they'd like to share on removing the used liner sheet from the take up roll after you've used up a roll of lam besides unrolling and re rolling? A friend of mine worked in a shop where they did something with taping a 1/2" wide stripe of coro to the roller core so they could just slide the used liner off instead of rolling it back up.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    I only tape the liner in one spot on the core. Makes it easier to remove. When it comes time to remove the liner I put the full core on the floor and spin counter-clockwise. Gives me enough gap to remove the core. Once in a while it doesn't cooperate, but not too often.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zillion29

zillion29 New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Allentown, PA
    I've often wondered if there was a better way to do this. If there's like 25+ yards on there, I usually take the tube off, but I'm a roller usually. I challenge myself to see if I can get the static shock to arc more than inch from my finger to the bar when I discharge it. And then there's the paper cuts . . . .

4. EffectiveCause

EffectiveCause Premium Subscriber

May 21, 2015
    Denton, TX
    I got tired quickly of unrolling an entire rolls worth of liner off the take up so I made it a habit to cut it off and remove it from the take up about every other job.

5. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    I just chunk the tube with the liner on it. We go through so many rolls there's always enough tubes.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. EffectiveCause

EffectiveCause Premium Subscriber

May 21, 2015
    Denton, TX
    Our take up roller at my last shop was just a round smooth roller that was too big to fit a tube on. Otherwise I would have done this.

7. shoresigns

shoresigns Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Are we the only geniuses that simply slice through the liners lengthwise and then pull it all off in one piece?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. petepaz

petepaz Premium Subscriber

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    we just cut it with a razor knife and pull it off. usually takes like 3-5 slices depending on how much is on there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Used to do that with a Genuine Papermaker knife. Worked OK, but the less you have to use any sharp hand held device the better. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    I've always just unrolled it before the liner take up gets too full (like after every job) when I didn't have the option of just chucking the whole liner take up roll (thanks, KALA laminators!).

11. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Active Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
    use an old core. Tape it to the take up roll. When done, cut the tape slide it off put a new one on and repeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    We usually just wait until the liner on the take up gets too thick and then we just swap out an empty core and use the spent liner to wrap signs with.

13. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I cut it all off with a knife

14. AF

AF Active Member

Dec 8, 2013
    USA
    I sell it. Or toss it.

15. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Tape a 1/2 to 1" strip of coro to the take-up roller. Be sure to only tape the ends, so you can get to the tape to cut it when it's full. Then tape the liner to the coro. There again, put the tape on the sides of the liner, not the end. When you are ready to discard it, cut the tape. Pull the coro out. This makes the liner loosely rolled, so it slides right off.

In the picture roll.jpg
    Brown is the roller
    Black is the coro
    Gray is the tape
    Tan is the liner

• Like Like x 2
  16. lpettyjohn

lpettyjohn New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Simi Valley, California
    Just tape a long piece of 1/4” rope to the take-up reel longer than the lamination material. Use one small piece of tape to hold the backer down. When it is all full then just pull the rope out and the material will just slide off

17. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I use to swap out the take-up roller and put it on the feed and vise versa and use the used backing paper as the feed paper, no need to waste money on the brown craft paper.