• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing used Liner from take up roll

K Chez

Anyone have any tricks they'd like to share on removing the used liner sheet from the take up roll after you've used up a roll of lam besides unrolling and re rolling? A friend of mine worked in a shop where they did something with taping a 1/2" wide stripe of coro to the roller core so they could just slide the used liner off instead of rolling it back up.

rjssigns

I only tape the liner in one spot on the core. Makes it easier to remove. When it comes time to remove the liner I put the full core on the floor and spin counter-clockwise. Gives me enough gap to remove the core. Once in a while it doesn't cooperate, but not too often.

zillion29

I've often wondered if there was a better way to do this. If there's like 25+ yards on there, I usually take the tube off, but I'm a roller usually. I challenge myself to see if I can get the static shock to arc more than inch from my finger to the bar when I discharge it. And then there's the paper cuts . . . .

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
I got tired quickly of unrolling an entire rolls worth of liner off the take up so I made it a habit to cut it off and remove it from the take up about every other job.

petepaz

we just cut it with a razor knife and pull it off. usually takes like 3-5 slices depending on how much is on there.

rjssigns

Are we the only geniuses that simply slice through the liners lengthwise and then pull it all off in one piece?
Used to do that with a Genuine Papermaker knife. Worked OK, but the less you have to use any sharp hand held device the better. JMO.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I've always just unrolled it before the liner take up gets too full (like after every job) when I didn't have the option of just chucking the whole liner take up roll (thanks, KALA laminators!).

AKwrapguy

Anyone have any tricks they'd like to share on removing the used liner sheet from the take up roll after you've used up a roll of lam besides unrolling and re rolling? A friend of mine worked in a shop where they did something with taping a 1/2" wide stripe of coro to the roller core so they could just slide the used liner off instead of rolling it back up.

use an old core. Tape it to the take up roll. When done, cut the tape slide it off put a new one on and repeat.

TimToad

We usually just wait until the liner on the take up gets too thick and then we just swap out an empty core and use the spent liner to wrap signs with.

lpettyjohn

Just tape a long piece of 1/4” rope to the take-up reel longer than the lamination material. Use one small piece of tape to hold the backer down. When it is all full then just pull the rope out and the material will just slide off

ChicagoGraphics

I use to swap out the take-up roller and put it on the feed and vise versa and use the used backing paper as the feed paper, no need to waste money on the brown craft paper.