• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Vinyl with Scraper Blades

Stuckup

Scary you all say, scratch the paint you say. No, its quite easy really. I use a large snap off blade for large vinyl removal and 2' blade for small. I put them in heavy duty holders and hone them on a windscreen. If you rub with pressure the blade on a windscreen first, at between 30 and 45 degrees, slightly rocking from side to side, they will glide across the paint surface, not take paint with it. DO NOT TURN OVER THE BLADE, as it will grab and make you freak. Slide the blade across the vinyl at an angle Not straight into it. The magic is only in the honing of the blade, always use 1 side only, and good removals all.

Marlene

I put them in heavy duty holders and hone them on a windscreen.

isn't a windscreen what we call a car window? when you say run it the windscreen first just what do you mean? it sounds like you dull the blade some then use that to remove the vinyl on a painted surface, is that correct?

letterman7

Oh yeah, there's a good plan. Take a chance on both scratching the windshield as well as scratching the paint. I've removed graphics with razor blades before only in extreme situations, both time rounding the corners on sandpaper first. I've learned that a Lil Chiseler and/or old credit cards and heat will take care of most graphics. Stubborn stuff I turn to my vinyl wheel.

Stuckup

Windscreens, or front Car windows are hardened, if you dont want to try it dont. It does not scratch the glass. If you had to strip a fleet of trucks and busses, you would search for new ideas too. I learnt it from window tinters, who use blades on soft glass, and never scratch the panels, because they honed the blades first.

Stuckup

Oh yeah, there's a good plan. Take a chance on both scratching the windshield as well as scratching the paint. I've removed graphics with razor blades before only in extreme situations, both time rounding the corners on sandpaper first. I've learned that a Lil Chiseler and/or old credit cards and heat will take care of most graphics. Stubborn stuff I turn to my vinyl wheel.

With sand paper, fine grade I hope, and that is the SAME principle, honing the blade on glass, just take it a step further and you are doing the same thing.

OldPaint

you need to go find a couple of these. buy em 5-6 at a time. the razor end, is at the perfect angle whe you set it down and allow the tail end of the handle to also rest on the windshield or whatever surface your trying to remove vinyl. just push this scrapper along the edge of the vinyl at an angle and the vinyl & GLUE will roll right off. google STANLEY 28-593 or ask your hardware store to order or go online and get 6.

Attachments

• Stanley-28-593-Window-Scraper-M.jpg
    Stanley-28-593-Window-Scraper-M.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 95

letterman7

Windscreens, or front Car windows are hardened, if you dont want to try it dont.

Do what you will, front screens are not "hardened" (properly called tempered) but layers of "regular" plate glass with an optically clear adhesive/shatter sheet between them. I'll never say I've never tried it - I use scrapers to remove old window decals - and I have had some scratches left behind if the blade itself gets nicked at all. If I had a fleet of buses that needed stripped, I certainly wouldn't be using a razor blade.. I'd be investing in a hot water pressure washer and a steamer.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Scary you all say, scratch the paint you say. No, its quite easy really. I use a large snap off blade for large vinyl removal and 2' blade for small. I put them in heavy duty holders and hone them on a windscreen. If you rub with pressure the blade on a windscreen first, at between 30 and 45 degrees, slightly rocking from side to side, they will glide across the paint surface, not take paint with it. DO NOT TURN OVER THE BLADE, as it will grab and make you freak. Slide the blade across the vinyl at an angle Not straight into it. The magic is only in the honing of the blade, always use 1 side only, and good removals all.

~Disclaimer~ This is ment to be offensive.

You are an idiot. You are one of the same idiot vinyl jockeys that strip signs off with a razor blade because you 'know' how to do it safely ... but really you are an idiot that with a strong wind will ruin someones paint job. Idiot. I hope you enjoy the day you completely **** a persons paint job and they make you get it re-painted ... you imbecilic moron. Your incompetent styling in your 'magic' technique is paramount to repairing a tv with a hammer.

You should quit now and go work for UPS or some other company that doesn't mind you destroying their clients items.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I wouldn't call him an idiot, I've done it that way.
Aside from burnishing the blade I keep the paint wet with a slip solution.
We run a detail/tint shop and at one time we had to remove dried cement that had over sprayed onto a parking lot full of cars. Some of the cars where brand new and higher end.
There was no chemical that would soften the cement without ruining the paint.
It could not be buffed or machined polished, couldn't even use clay by hand as the loose cement turned into a very rough cutting compound as soon as it was free from the paint.
We saved the contractor from re-painting about 2 dozen cars using blades, slip solution and a lot of time.
From there I have done it on a few vinyl removal jobs that could not be done using normal methods. We have a nice steamer and a locker full of the usual removal chemicals.
It's not something I would recommend 99% of the time but it is a viable option worth learning in case you run into a job that can't be done another way.

wayne k
guam usa

we made good money on that cement removal, the contractor was very happy and most of the car owners were satisfied.
whk

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I will NEVER use a blade to remove graphics on paint. And I certain will NEVER call it a good or even half butted good idea. it is a poor substitute for a proper removal technique and does not take into account micro bumps in the paint from imperfections in the painting process nor does it take into account human (REALLY STUPID HUMAN) error. at LEAST once a week I have to assure a customer I am not some dumb *** mother ****** vinyl jockey that will **** up their paint like ("their last guy", "this one dumb ***", "a guy that did signs before", etc etc etc) and to see someone actually propping this idea as a "hey, this is awesome, here is how" technique is ******* stupid ... like so mentally deficient I'm wondering why people would pay to learn wraps from him. He is an idiot. One big wind gust, a bad hair day, or just a minor distraction ... and he's eating paint .... all it takes is one surface scratch and he's marred the paint, do that a few times cause he's off his game ... it makes us all seem like idiots and puts a bad taste in the customers mouth like drinking rancid orange juice that was fine yesterday ... bad today. sorry, complete idiot.

let me guess, he suggests cutting on the vehicle to trim up graphics as well?

cdiesel

More great advice..

BTW, carbon steel blades will scratch glass, tempered or not. Stainless steel blades will not without a LOT of pressure.

Stuckup

I will NEVER use a blade to remove graphics on paint. And I certain will NEVER call it a good or even half butted good idea. it is a poor substitute for a proper removal technique and does not take into account micro bumps in the paint from imperfections in the painting process nor does it take into account human (REALLY STUPID HUMAN) error. at LEAST once a week I have to assure a customer I am not some dumb *** mother ****** vinyl jockey that will **** up their paint like ("their last guy", "this one dumb ***", "a guy that did signs before", etc etc etc) and to see someone actually propping this idea as a "hey, this is awesome, here is how" technique is ******* stupid ... like so mentally deficient I'm wondering why people would pay to learn wraps from him. He is an idiot. One big wind gust, a bad hair day, or just a minor distraction ... and he's eating paint .... all it takes is one surface scratch and he's marred the paint, do that a few times cause he's off his game ... it makes us all seem like idiots and puts a bad taste in the customers mouth like drinking rancid orange juice that was fine yesterday ... bad today. sorry, complete idiot.

:goodpost: Yes I cut on the vehicle, and yes you are closed minded, its called practice, practice on other than clients vehicle first, and skill that you use. Yes Stainless steel blades and not carbon steel. Your funny Tyrant. Some can do it some cant. Seems you cant control yourself, just cut deep enough to cut vinyl and not the glue.

As far as using a scraper blade on a vehicle, I use it when the vinyl is all crazed, failed, and a steamer is too slow, a hot water blaster will take the paint off, so then what would you do? Give up, nah, not in me. As one can use the blade on the vehicle and it leaves the glue behind, it is actually travelling ABOVE the paint.

visual800

Ill be in the same class as the idiot. Thats the way I do it also. except with smaller blade. I squirt water on the window (usually mine) and then dull it out. the squirt water on the graphic and remove. I can work it pretty good and its damn effective.

Stuckup

Do what you will, front screens are not "hardened" (properly called tempered) but layers of "regular" plate glass with an optically clear adhesive/shatter sheet between them. I'll never say I've never tried it - I use scrapers to remove old window decals - and I have had some scratches left behind if the blade itself gets nicked at all. If I had a fleet of buses that needed stripped, I certainly wouldn't be using a razor blade.. I'd be investing in a hot water pressure washer and a steamer.

Apologies, you are correct. :notworthy:

Stuckup

More great advice..

BTW, carbon steel blades will scratch glass, tempered or not. Stainless steel blades will not without a LOT of pressure.

Thank you, sorry, I forgot to mention that, Window Tinters know this, I actually learnt from a Window Tinter after I cut into glass, and he told me why it happened, how to not scratch the glass. He honed his blades for tinting removal on his Car Windscreen and it did not mark the soft glass panels.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
:goodpost: Yes I cut on the vehicle, and yes you are closed minded, its called practice, practice on other than clients vehicle first, and skill that you use. Yes Stainless steel blades and not carbon steel. Your funny Tyrant. Some can do it some cant. Seems you cant control yourself, just cut deep enough to cut vinyl and not the glue.

As far as using a scraper blade on a vehicle, I use it when the vinyl is all crazed, failed, and a steamer is too slow, a hot water blaster will take the paint off, so then what would you do? Give up, nah, not in me. As one can use the blade on the vehicle and it leaves the glue behind, it is actually travelling ABOVE the paint.

Oh, don't take it as WON'T do it as CAN'T do it.

I will take your blase attempt to assume I'm closed minded to a technique which is retarded as you further more being a complete moron.

And congrats on cutting on vehicles ... hope you like further promoting the negative side of this business.

idiot. As a 'trainer' you suck.

again, quit your job, you need to work for a company that is happy with you destroying something of the clients ... I suggested UPS ... but that probably requires too much skill to sort packages ... how about a lawn jockey .... you can kill your customers plants all day no problem ... people will expect that level of ineptitude with your 'service'

Stuckup

Love you too mate. The methods work, with practice, and are fast. Its all good buddy, you can hate it, but others use the scraper blades this way and crazed and cracked vinyl is a breeze to remove and it is safe if done correctly. The world is full of different Ideas, and some explore them fully before they give up.

Mosh

I use blades on glass all the time (NEVER ON PAINT) never had glass scratch, but I am not using a diamond tipped blade...

Tony Rome

I love your rant, but I thought the conclusion would lead to your own method, so I was dissapointed...well, do you have a method you prefer? Thanks.