• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Removing Window Perf Vinyl

Wbgofd

I need suggestions on how to remove window perforated vinyl from vehicle windows? I really don't want to use a heat gun because I am afraid of shattering the glass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
Larry

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't use heat or steam on windows. I start the removal by scoring lines down the windows so I can pull off 12" - 16" sections. Then I use a flat razor blade to start it and pull at an angle. You have to get the feel of it. It's much easier to pull perf in the sun when it's warm. When it's cold outside it breaks easily.

Wbgofd

I don't use heat or steam on windows. I start the removal by scoring lines down the windows so I can pull off 12" - 16" sections. Then I use a flat razor blade to start it and pull at an angle. You have to get the feel of it. It's much easier to pull perf in the sun when it's warm. When it's cold outside it breaks easily.
I am in Minnesota and right now it is -1 degree. It would be a few months before I could use the heat of the sun. Has anyone tried a vinyl eraser? I was thinking of trying a vinyl eraser but have concerns about scratching the window. All advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I am in Minnesota and right now it is -1 degree. It would be a few months before I could use the heat of the sun. Has anyone tried a vinyl eraser? I was thinking of trying a vinyl eraser but have concerns about scratching the window. All advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry

I don't like that idea...pressure and heat on glass make me nervous. Have you tested the removal yet? What is it coming off like? Sometimes when it's difficult, I'll spray brake cleaner directly on the perf and immediately start removing the section I sprayed...Once it dries it becomes ineffective.

On a side note, I wonder how a radiant heater would work from the inside pointing at the window...

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
IR heater - These things have so many uses; use it to evenly heat the vinyl as you pre-stretch bumper corners, Post heat large areas, heat up vinyl for removal (wraps, cut vinyl, or window perf), heat up your install bay and or preheat or dry a cold vehicle.

These things are awesome. Summit Racing is another place you can buy them.

Glass will only break if you concentrate a lot of heat or cold in a small area. Chances are, you would smoke the vinyl before you break the glass, If you keep a torch moving it won't break. An IR heater is defiantly safe because it's a wide slow heat similar to the sun.

jwilde

I like a straight razor blade on glass. The only thing worse than removing old perf is removing old reflective. Otherwise, I would hope you would bring the vehicle indoors to acclimate. Putting on or taking off vinyl in sub-zero is not usually advised. I'm in Michigan and my Jeep said -18 on the way in today.

strypguy

Plenty of heat is used on automotive glass when window tinting to shape the film to the glass. I think you will be fine in this instance with a heat gun and only use enough heat to get the vinyl to release. John

It takes A LOT of heat to break tempered glass. Like strypguy said, in tint shops we use heatguns (some people even use torches) to conform the film to the back window and it can get hot enough to boil a bit of water off instantly when sprayed. You should be more worried about melting rubber/plastic molding around the window than hurting the actual glass.

Razor blades are fine to use, but make sure they're stainless steel. Generally a stainless steel blade won't scratch the glass, but dirt will. Make sure to spray out all the perforations very well before you take a razor blade to it or you'll just drag the dirt along the window scratching it.

2B

we use a wide blade glass scraper for perf. IMO much faster than heating and pulling.
Make sure to use a clean blade.

rarely will anything be left behind, if it is use some Rapid Remover

Centro Graphics

Try using a higher tack vinyl or laminate, apply it over the top, heat it bit and leave for 24 hrs if poss. Then remove in sections, this may help with the cold weather you have and should make the perf stick to the applied vinyl, thus less labor. Good luck