• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Rendering Software, Account Management Software

Hey Sign Friends,

Let me start with... I'm a Newbie :)

Ok, couple of questions:

1. What software do you recommend to build client renderings?

2. Is there software out there to assist in figuring out measurements and sizes? For example, the client sends me a picture of the front of his building and says "I want my sign there, and how big should my letters be?" Is there a way I can figure out the dimensions of the space without paying the location a visit?

3. I know there are a ton of account management programs out there (i.e. Corebridge, etc...) Is there one that's really the industry leader?

Thanks so much!

bannertime

As for number 2:

It's best to not play around with measurements. It can lead to costly and time wasting mistakes. In a pinch you can use the measurements for a door space, typically like 36in x 80in to scale a picture up to size. You'll need to account for the distance and skew changes such as a tall building taken from ground level or an overhang. You can also get semi accurate building dimensions from Google Maps using the measure distance tool. Best way is to figure out a way to include the cost of site inspections into a final price, do free site inspections, or just clearly state for the most accurate results, you need to visit and that there will be a charge.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
1. I use Illustrator with CadTools, I prefer it because it works better with my workflow, I can have multiple scales on a page without any workaround and I have built up a library of section drawings I can drag and drop - in scale - in the page... Corel if also good for making scaled renderings.

2. I do work all over the country and can't get to most projects, I have the client give me measurements, depending on how the code calculates allowable square footage, I would ask for linear frontage, building area or property area, then measure some feature like windows or a wall or even slap a scale reference on the wall and proportion off that... usually a 12" x 18" Coro sign, place the image in Illustrator on whatever scale makes sense, draw the scale reference out - lets say a door at 36" wide or the 18" x 24", proportion the picture using that reference, then you can design on top of that... make sure you get straight shots. Always... I MEAN ALWAYS state that the size is only an estimate, once you make the sale, go back and verify the final measurements and double check it...

You might want to look at this book:
Charboneau Signs