• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Repair advice/help

Jackpine

Anyone know of someone in the midwest that works on CNC's? I have my Z axis not working. I ruled out software and controller. It is a Digital Tool machine. thanks in advance.

Cadmn

If its not software or controller then motor would be next to test. I used to do lots of machine stuff. but since my stroke I'm slow in my thoughts sometimes. I'm not close to your area but . if I can help. or guide you in any way I got yahoo Msn & icq. PM me if I can help you.

MAB SIGNS

There's a guy in Louisville who installed a machine at my old employer, he was pretty good. Let me find his info and I will PM you with it. If he can't he may know who can take a look at it.

MAB

roxym

Do you have stepper motors or servos? Could be something as simple as a fuse, each motor on mine is fused separately. To check you could switch the wiring from the x or y motor to the z and see if it works. Just a thought, been down that road.

anothersign

I finally found a subject where i can give back to the forum

Let me start by saying i spent about 80% of my adult life as a mechanic and now i work on low-high volume black and white as well as color copiers and we use the same technology (stepper\servo motors) and i am very good at tracking electrical problems so i will give you my email addy you send me an email and ill reply with my cell# and if you have an electric meter i will walk you through the whole process. If your not comfortable with electronics maybe your close enough to me we can set up a place to meet and i have a fully stocked car with steppers and servo motors as well as all the test equipment we would need. drop me a line and ill send my cell # anothersign@gmail.com:Coffee:

Jackpine

repair

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
How did you rule out the controller?
Yes... I have X and Y motion. I believe it is the motion control motor for Z. Just need some advice. I will do it myself with phone assistance.

Jackpine

repair

roxym said:
Do you have stepper motors or servos? Could be something as simple as a fuse, each motor on mine is fused separately. To check you could switch the wiring from the x or y motor to the z and see if it works. Just a thought, been down that road.
I have stepper motors.

There are a couple of ways that you can check. The first you need is a DVOM (digital meter). You can start at the motor, or start at the board, and just check the voltages. ensuring that they are getting "there", meaning the motor may be bad.

The second way is to remove the motor and test it on a bench. I do not what the voltage requirements are, but that will also tell you if you have a bad motor - if the motor does not react.

As Roxy indicated above, there could be a fuse or fusible link, somewhere inline. I would think that for protoection of the board, that there is. Look through your schematic (if you have), and verify.

If there are not any of "overload protection" devices, you will want to add some. The reason for this, is that all too often, a bad motor can cause a board to go bad.

If you are able to, I would try option number two first, but all you are doing is just back-tracing your voltages.

I hope this is making sense.........

1amigo

Schematics & Service Manuals

Anybody here able to help me with the Schematics & Service Manuals of various equipments like CNC Routers, Cutter Plotters and Color Printers of the large format types ? I will be much obliged if anyone here is willing to help.

andy

If it's a stepper system you might want to check the stepper controller cards- there should be one for each axis. It might be something as simple as an on board fuse or it might just be a worn out card.

The good news is stepper control cards are cheap and easy peasy to change- do a google for Tormach. They are US based and sell quality steppers and the control cards- great people to deal with- very, very helpful.

Typestries

and please, don't use a $10 harbor freight digital meter to test your $50k machine. I did it once, and misdiagnosed, and spent $1200 on parts, unnecessarily. Get a good fluke, you'll get more precise AND accurate data to make a better informed diagnosis.