• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Replacing an existing sign, pre-fab letter source needed

A customer has asked me for a quote to replace 1 section of an existing sign advertising 3 different businesses.

I need a source for inexpensive pre-fab letters so I can remake this sign.The new business does not want to invest in a complete remake since this is a temporary location. We will grind of the top row of lettering from the redwood and replace, the bottom text remains the same.

Attachments

• Sign picture.jpg
    Sign picture.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What size are we talking ??

Ain't no way he got that routed, painted and hung for $306.00, on redwood, unless it's 4" x 12".

Sorry, Since I was looking for stock lettering, I didn't think to mention the size. The sign is 18" high, 6 ft long, the capital "D" is 5" high.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is no way you can make a sign with those dimensions for less than $300, even if you use the same piece over somehow.

Offer them cut vinyl on a piece of 1/4" alumalite for about $450 and if they don't laugh or kick you say plus installation.

it's none of your concern if they wanna be cheap or short term. A sign is a sign.

Actually, I simply asked for a source for prefab lettering. I see that I should have kept the details to myself.

My HUGE mistake!!!!!
I understand that you are trying to preserve your industry, but sometimes a temporary measure is needed until a permanent decision is made.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I simply asked for a source for prefab lettering. I see that I should have kept the details to myself.

My HUGE mistake!!!!!
I understand that you are trying to preserve your industry, but sometimes a temporary measure is needed until a permanent decision is made.

Please accept my apology for trying to help. Knowing how one wants to approach a project and how one intends to furnish said product... up front, means the difference of shooting from the hip in the dark and blowing off one's foot.

Try Gemini or any of your competitors for routered letters based from your files for the project and good luck. You're around$175 plus the pattern and shipping. Probably be around $225 when it's all said and done. Now, you hafta put it together and hope you don't have anything else to do.

Again, not trying to preserve anything, just trying to help, but you evidently don't understand. My mistake. Good luck, you'll need it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By the way, my first quote was a temporary type sign. Nothing permanent about a $400 sign. That was a fix to help you make some money and get out of it alive.

Johnny Best

Make a layout and pattern, buy some gatorboard and cut them out on a bandsaw or jigsaw, prime and paint them and glue them on the area you knocked down. That's about as cheap as you will get for a temporary sign.
BTW, there was someone on here last week with information on how they painted gatorfoam letters for outside exposure.

MikePro

grinding-down the existing name sounds like you're eating most of that in labor of install. i mean, Gemini makes great lettering BUT, as stated above, they are pretty pricey for a "temporary"sign.

....a 1/2" PVC "HotDog" with vinyl lettering mounted right over the top of the existing letters would keep you within your client's assumed price-point, with install included.

Just as easy, would be to simply take a black panel @ full-size, mask off your frame & lettering, then paint it with textured white. Screw it right over the top of the existing, and you're set until when/if the client decides to go for sandblasted redwood.

rossmosh

If you want "stock" letters, then start looking on craft sites and in craft stores. They sell crappy wood letters which you can paint with black spray paint. Assuming you do a better than decent job painting them, they should hold up for a few years maybe.

In the end, as others have suggested, the way you're going about this is just wrong. Knocking off the letters, sanding, painting, buying the letters, and mounting everything is likely one of the most expensive ways to handle this project. As Gino mentioned, simply putting up a vinyl sign mounted on whatever you have laying around is definitely going to be more cost effective. Hell, you could even put a banner over it if it's truly temporary.

Thank you all for contributing valuable information. I can see that I may have approached this forum incorrectly, and caused misunderstanding in what I was looking for. I certainly never meant to sound unappreciative. That's a common occurrence with the typed word, and that resulted, I believe, in a perceived attitude from me towards Gino, which was definitely not intended. I am sure that Gino has vast experience in this craft. So I am offering my sincere apology to you, Gino for my part in any tension here.

Thank you to MikePro for understanding and for your suggestions, which we are putting to good and practical use.

fresh

anything dimensional is going to be pricey. can you order from Harbor Sales? You can have the letters cut out of PVC, and then finish as needed.

But honestly, if its just temporary, why use dimensional letters in the first place. I'm so confused.

fresh,
Great question!! Happy to answer this....
Because we don't do a lot of signs, it was due to inexperience, so I came here for ideas and hopefully to learn. I've seen lots of cheap lettering at craft stores, but seems they only have CAPITALS, no lower case, which is why I came here to find letter sources. Because my semi -retired husband said he could smoothly and neatly sand down the lettering on both original signs in less than 30-60". And because I knew I could spray paint and seal the letters quickly and easily glue them on with construction adhesive and make about $150-$200. Because we do not have any nearby sign shops or anyone else willing to do this work in my small town. And since it IS a small town, my willingness to help any of my customers means repeat customers for other facets of printing for my small business. Because many people in this small town America want to keep their $$$ in town whenever possible. And finally, because we are fond of eating and paying bills. :D

BTW THANK YOU for suggesting Harbor Sales, I have already registered. ;-)

Marlene

how cheap are you looking for? places like Michaels craft stores sell wood letters that might do the trick.

Attachments

• cheap letters.jpg
    cheap letters.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 132