• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Replacing JV33-260 Printhead

SanTanSP

Hello.. I purchased a used Mimaki JV33-260 a few months back that had been sitting without power for a couple months and not used .. When I got it back to my shop and tried to get it running we figured out the printhead was no good and clogged up from sitting and would not print anything at all ... So I just purchased a brand new Printhead from DigiPrint last week along with a new pump, capping station, wipers, all new dampers etc. ... I am getting ready to change the printhead out this week and try to get this thing up and running. Do I need to do anything special once I get the printhead in and new dampers and new inks in there like manually fill the dampers or anything?? I am new to large format printers like this but am very mechanically and computer literate so I am sure I can do this. The bis ass manual doesn't say anything on this aspect. I would just like to know from anyone with any experience any HAVE TO's Tips or Tricks, etc. that I should know prior to jumping in here :) .. Thanks a lot for any help in advance! Much appreciated!!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The most important thing to do is protect the machine from electrical shorts that can damaged the head and other boards in the machine. Turn the machine off, unplug it, hit both power buttons a couple times and then wait about 15 minutes before doing anything. I have actually tested the power output after the machine is unplugged and it takes that long to completely discharge. Also, check the head cables once they are out and replace them if there is any sign of damage, corrosion and or ink splatter on the silver leads. When reinstalling them, make sure you push them in nice and straight. If you aren't lined up properly, you can bend the leads off and or the cable will be crooked and cause issues. Just double check by looking very closely and seeing that the leads are lined up with the terminal after they are installed and before you power the machine on. If you do those things, you will be good to go.

Just put everything in and then run a strong cleaning cycle or two. If there is ink already in the machine, that will fill the head and dampers properly. Also, do all of the alignments to get the best quality out of the head. A lot of people get intimidated by them and skip that part and their prints suffer for it.

SanTanSP

Thank you so much for the reply VanderJ, very much appreciated!! I have had it unplugged since we figured out it had a bad head anyway for the last month, I will go ahead and cycle the power buttons also, thanks for that! I actually bought allll brand new cables that go to the head also, every single one of them ;) The new head is also a brand new Mimaki with the new circuit board on it .. I figured I would just go ahead and replace them all now too! Also bought all new tubing for the whole thing, you think I need to replace all the tubing or should flushing that out be okay? I just want this thing purring like a kitten and printing quality products for my customers .. I know this thing can put out some awesome prints, I have seen them, so I will do whatever it takes to bring her back to speed :) I really appreciate the help!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Normally I don't replace ink lines unless I can determine that they are broken which is usually not the case. I normally don't even flush the machine either but if you want to start out nice and fresh, it's not going to hurt anything and you may get longer life out of the filters in the dampers that way. Sounds like you are in the right mindset to get it done. You'll basically be a tech by then end of it!

Edit: Also, since you are flushing the machine, to fill it back up, look for the fill up menu in the manual. It has a mode specifically for filling an empty machine. This is better than manually doing it as any issues that may arise will show up and you will be able to tell, for example, that one channel isn't filling or none of them are etc.

SanTanSP

Okay great info!! I will do a good inspection of the lines then and let it be if they are good :) ... I will do the flush and I will follow your advice on looking at the manual for the fillup and letting the machine do it. Thanks again for your help! I will be starting the process in a couple days and will for sure write back here If I run into any issues.