• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing old printer, recommendations?

jeffr0wland

Shop looking to replace a ok tired minaki jv3. What would most of ya recommend? Heard many positive comments about hp latex machines but wanna hear what people think. Most work is adhesive back, wrap and banners that the machine will be used for

Thanks in advance.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well the Latex is really great for the wrap guys as you dont have any outgassing so you can print laminate and install almost instantly. They are super affordable for 60" units you can get for under $19k

Latex is very friendly for the enviorment as well. Here is a link dedicated to the latex technology if you want to find more users of the machine its a great source.

http://hpl25500users.ning.com/

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I recently switched from very old and very tired group of roland converted fj-50's and cj-500 to the hp 25500. When it on, it's awesome, but i have been having some issues with it. Honestly though, it might be my network that is the problem, but error 79:04 is unforgiving.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'll chime and say if you are used to a JV3 then you would be instantly comfortable with a JV33. Same menus, same mechansims for loading and the takeup, same waste bottle, same great excellent build quality and reliability, and a LOT easier to maintain since it uses a single DX5 head. That pretty much does away with alignment issues. I'd have to say after having had both that the JV33 is what you always wanted the JV3 to be which was an excellent machine in it's own right.

Apparently latex is the way to go now though but you will find some issues with them and some of the reports like from FLAAR do state that they have some limitations. I imagine one day we will all be moving to some form of latex or resin inks but even the latest issues of the trade publication still very clearly state that solvent is far from dead.

tomence

If you were to buy another printer and knowing the issues that you have with the HP would you still buy the HP over any other solvent printer. I am looking to get one but i am so confused about the quotes i am getting. Four different places give me four different prices, i guess i have to decide on customer service and whos got the best techs.

I recently switched from very old and very tired group of roland converted fj-50's and cj-500 to the hp 25500. When it on, it's awesome, but i have been having some issues with it. Honestly though, it might be my network that is the problem, but error 79:04 is unforgiving.

Letterbox Mike

I"m with SightLine. If you don't necessarily need the "green" technology of latex, why not go for a JV33? He's right, if you know JV3s in and out a JV33 will be a snap. I love ours, wouldn't trade it for the world...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
If you were to buy another printer and knowing the issues that you have with the HP would you still buy the HP over any other solvent printer. I am looking to get one but i am so confused about the quotes i am getting. Four different places give me four different prices, i guess i have to decide on customer service and whos got the best techs.

yea, I'd still buy it.

nothing against the guy who set mine up but if it turns out it is a network problem - I would have assumed that the tech would have known that in the installation...

but when it works, which is the majority of the time, i love it...

rjssigns

Don't buy anything just yet. Different products coming to market. Also look into the Chinese printers. chris190 bought either a 1.6 or1.8 meter unit for $7K, which includes delivery. And it has dual DX-5's if not mistaken. And before you sell them short think about where Roland, Mimaki etc... get their components.

Bly

I'm not sure if it's the same error code ddarlak, but when we put the printer to sleep with the switch on the front panel it would error out after a time with all the fans running. Since I've let it go to standy by itself we haven't seen that problem again.

tomence

Has anyone checked the new Epson SureColor at the Show in Orlando. And if so what price they were selling this printer for. Everyone says MSRP is like around $16.995 i believe and got a quote today for $18K plus delivery and installation which comes to $19K. In England at their sign show they were selling the printer at $9K pounds converted to US Dollars is around $14.5. So how come they dont have that deal here.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Since I've let it go to standy by itself we haven't seen that problem again.

I always let it go to standby on it's own. usually the error hits when i send a large file over. tried printing three banners that were 52" x 111" yesterday all at once and it crashed after about 4 feet two times. third time i sent each banner on it's own and i had no issues...

this issue started about a month ago, up until then i was printing entire rolls of material without a hitch, so i'm not sold that it's my network causing the problems...

signswi

We went from a JV3 to an HP L25500, love it. Would buy ten more if I could. All time time I used to waste getting the JV3 to print correctly (and on maintenance) is now time spent on design and sales. We're heading into our fourth consecutive month of all-time revenue numbers and it's in large part due to work we do on the L25500 that wasn't possible on our JV3, both in turn around and in quality. The black ink is amazing compared to the Mimaki solvent (and 3rd party Mimaki solvent) and it makes a massive difference.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We went from a JV3 to an HP L25500, love it. Would buy ten more if I could. All time time I used to waste getting the JV3 to print correctly (and on maintenance) is now time spent on design and sales. We're heading into our fourth consecutive month of all-time revenue numbers and it's in large part due to work we do on the L25500 that wasn't possible on our JV3, both in turn around and in quality. The black ink is amazing compared to the Mimaki solvent (and 3rd party Mimaki solvent) and it makes a massive difference.

Thats so great to hear!!!