• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing Roland SP 540v Encoder Sensor

Lattissimus

Hi guys first post
have a tiny tiny bit of overspray on black head.
cant work out if it's encoder or static.
changed encoder strip about a month ago due to poor printing and it cleaned it up a lot.
have a spare sensor I want to put in but can't find instructions on replacing it
have the user and service manuals.
but only contains the replacing encoder strip etc
any help or am I dumb ??
Thanks

Ragnabrok

Encoder doesn't affect overspray, especially on just one colour. If your entire print is blurry, or printing diagonally the encoder is for sure the case. Overpsray in only the black is likely nozzle deflection. with the test print button, does the nozzle pattern on the black look different than the other 3?

Static overspray is usually intermittent, spraying on some passes, but not others.

Lattissimus

thanks for the answer, only effecting the blue and black head on test print
is it time for a new head?
the fuzz im talking about is only noticable close up, but im picky lol
attachment.php

again thanks for the reply

Attachments

• test print.jpg
    test print.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,748

player

Do you think that test pattern is normal? Your black needs some serious maintenance/cleaning.

When did you last change the caps? Wipers?

Have you had some head strikes or head streaking? (head just touching the media)

What is your maintenance/manual cleaning schedule?

OEM or 3rd party inks?

Lattissimus

oem inks, full service by roland earlier this year , think it was february or march ,
i know its not normal,
just trying to ascertain if i need a new head or not
thanks

Lattissimus

Sorry didn't answer all

Clean around heads / wipers etc every 1-2 weeks

had some head streaking on a canvas print recently

player

Sorry didn't answer all

Clean around heads / wipers etc every 1-2 weeks

had some head streaking on a canvas print recently

I find when the caps get old, deflections won't go away. The pump doesn't get good suction due to the poor seal.

That canvas headstrike could be a problem. Especially the bars that are out of place horizontally.

A good head soak and hopefully most of the deflections and dropouts will go away.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

NormanL

Try printing a block of black 1.3mx80cm and see if theres any change. If not ill go with a head soak for an hour or more

player

I pinch off the tubes coming from the caps. I use the "head height" function to move the heads off the caps. Fill the caps with cleaner. Return print head to caps. Power off the printer. Soak.

Lattissimus

Print heaps of black canvases last night , haven't had chance to check all test prints again , adjusted bias after this test was done .
got a maintenance kit coming , I'll install that and if no change I'll do a head soak.
am I better off doing a head soak before or after cap replacement ?
or during ie change cap tops , don't connect cap tops to drain , pinch them and fill up and soak ???
Again guys thanks for all the great advice , my roland tech is very secretive lol

player

Print heaps of black canvases last night , haven't had chance to check all test prints again , adjusted bias after this test was done .
got a maintenance kit coming , I'll install that and if no change I'll do a head soak.
am I better off doing a head soak before or after cap replacement ?
or during ie change cap tops , don't connect cap tops to drain , pinch them and fill up and soak ???
Again guys thanks for all the great advice , my roland tech is very secretive lol

Just do a head soak. It is no big deal. You need to do one. You can do one before and after.

What is in a maintenance kit?

I don't know why you are not connecting the captops to the drain. You pinch them off BEFORE the pump.

I fold the black hose, then use a big paper clamp on the hose to keep it pinched. Then fill the captops with cleaner. After the heads are re-seated on the captops I turn off the printer to prevent the pump from working.

After the soak (1 hr to 12 hrs to 24 hrs) I remove the clamps before turning back on. I will do a regular clean. Sometimes a medium clean, then I do a manual cleaning again. Test print.

If the caps are good, I let it sit after that. I find they can clean up on their own after a soak.

The caps are Roland?

Lattissimus

I'll take photo of kit when I get it and list parts
caps better be genuine roland , the tech put them in on last service
keep you posted
again thanks