• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Replacing Roland VP-540i Mainboard? Help!!!

player

I have been having issues with my VP-540i and the tech just called and said the board is $3,000 Canadian plus travel (10 hours) plus the repair time and any other parts it might need. It could cost over $4,500 CAD (probably $5K) for this repair. Ugh...

I am wondering about buying the board from Digiprint and installing it myself. Is that feasible? I have seen other sellers from China, and some on eBay as well.

I am also in contact with a board repair company that is currently looking at the schematics and my errors to see if it looks like something they can fix. They cannot work on anything with software or the logic chips though.

Here is a link to the thread I started about the errors. There are pictures of the print errors in that thread if you are interested. https://signs101.com/threads/vp540i-printing-massive-errors-please-help.147744/

Thanks

Last edited:

player

And now it is printing fine again... WTF how am I going to troubleshoot something that is not always broken?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your issue looks like an electrical short which means whatever was shorting out is not anymore. The way these machines work is the CPU on the main board creates the head signal but it is only 3 - 5 volts so it needs to be amplified to a higher voltage to fire the head nozzles. I don't know what voltage the DX4 heads in your machine use but the newer DX5 heads use 42 volts. So the machine pumps a solid stream of 42 volts towards the transistors and the CPU signal controls the transistors to allow the 42 volts through at the same rate as the signal. So if there is a short anywhere from the CPU to the heads, a solid stream of 42 bolts flows through the cables to the head and makes it fire 100% which is what causes the streaks. Usually I see the short in the long trailing cables but it can happen anywhere like the head itself, head cables, slider board, main board etc.

player

Your issue looks like an electrical short which means whatever was shorting out is not anymore. The way these machines work is the CPU on the main board creates the head signal but it is only 3 - 5 volts so it needs to be amplified to a higher voltage to fire the head nozzles. I don't know what voltage the DX4 heads in your machine use but the newer DX5 heads use 42 volts. So the machine pumps a solid stream of 42 volts towards the transistors and the CPU signal controls the transistors to allow the 42 volts through at the same rate as the signal. So if there is a short anywhere from the CPU to the heads, a solid stream of 42 bolts flows through the cables to the head and makes it fire 100% which is what causes the streaks. Usually I see the short in the long trailing cables but it can happen anywhere like the head itself, head cables, slider board, main board etc.
Thank you for replying. What would you do?

I cannot see throwing in a new main board at $5K, when I cannot be sure that's the problem. Even replacing all the cables will be expensive if it is not a cable issue.

What would you do?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would air dust every terminal that a flat ribbon cable connects to and then use 90% alcohol to clean them and then air dust again. Then I would re-install all the cables and replace any that have damage, dirtiness, or burn marks. Then I would air dust every board and get all of the dust off.

I know you know this but in case someone else sees this, make sure to unplug the machine and wait about 15 minutes before working on any electrical parts.

player

I would air dust every terminal that a flat ribbon cable connects to and then use 90% alcohol to clean them and then air dust again. Then I would re-install all the cables and replace any that have damage, dirtiness, or burn marks. Then I would air dust every board and get all of the dust off.

Are you saying to clean the terminals on the board with alcohol or just the ribbon cables?

If so would you use a swab and stick it into the terminal?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah the terminals collect a lot of dust and ink sometimes. Make sure you use 90% as it dries faster and is better for electronics. I usually use a swab and just get it nice and wet and clean as much of the surface as possible. It will dry in seconds but I usually wait about 10 minutes before powering back on.

player

Where do you get the $3000 price tag from?? you are being ripped off before you even start.
That is in Canadian dollar from a certified Roland dealership / repair place. Then don't forget the 10 hours travel and then however many hours to fix it, as well as any other parts. On top of all that, it may not even be that board, and once put in my machine I own it. He could drive away with $5,000 plus tax for the repair and then 10 minutes later after he leaves it could act up again. Last night and today the stupid POS is working perfectly. Last week I had a 4' x 14' storefront sign that was on a deadline and it went retarded until after the deadline. Then it started working again after I drove 3 hours away to get it printed at a friend's shop...

Terry01

That is in Canadian dollar from a certified Roland dealership / repair place. Then don't forget the 10 hours travel and then however many hours to fix it, as well as any other parts. On top of all that, it may not even be that board, and once put in my machine I own it. He could drive away with $5,000 plus tax for the repair and then 10 minutes later after he leaves it could act up again. Last night and today the stupid POS is working perfectly. Last week I had a 4' x 14' storefront sign that was on a deadline and it went retarded until after the deadline. Then it started working again after I drove 3 hours away to get it printed at a friend's shop...
You are currently 75cents in the dollar..We are 69.. But the best advice I can give you, is learn your printer and remember Google is your friend..Read your service manual from cover to cover so everything becomes second nature.
Find yourself a supplier other than OEMs so you have a second base to turn to. Keep that printer clean.

player

You are currently 75cents in the dollar..We are 69.. But the best advice I can give you, is learn your printer and remember Google is your friend..Read your service manual from cover to cover so everything becomes second nature.
Find yourself a supplier other than OEMs so you have a second base to turn to. Keep that printer clean.
Thanks for the support.

I do want to say my Roland guy is really good. He knows his stuff and is diligent. I do trust him to fix my machine if anyone can.

That said, the price to go that route is more than I can bear right now...

The machine is super clean, well looked after and all that. I keep it covered all the time when not in use, and clean it regularly.

It is hard to fix something that won't stay broken...

Where would you buy a new board and or ribbon cables from?