• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing SP-540v Main Board

Visedge

Hi guys,
We had an issue with our Roland SP-540V machine not printing at all from the Yellow/Magento head. After replacing everything else and trying unsuccessfully to get my mainboard repaired I took the plunge & ordered a new board last week. I now now have the new board fitted & can communicate with my networked PC.

Things I have to do the job...

I have a Roland SP Service Manual
I have a backup file with the parameters from my old board.
I have a couple of versions of the 'Peck' software.
I have versions 7.3 and 7.4 firmwares for the printer.
I have set the DIP switches to no.3 on and the rest in the off position.

So, I tried configuring the new board last week because they come without any specific software installed (aka a virgin board).
I thought that I would be okay to get this up and running but when I turn the machine on now I get the message...
'Roland SP-??? Turn power on again'

Procedure
The first thing I did was to connect the printer to our network & sent the 'parameters backup' file I had previously saved. I did this via the 'Put Parameters' button in 'Peck'. The display on the printer read 'complete', but didn't shut down. So I manually turned the machine of and on again & got the 'Roland SP-???' message. Then I thought maybe I should've installed the firmware first so I did this via the 'upgrade firmware' in 'Peck', but I'm still getting the same message!

What I would like is someone to tell me the exact procedure I need to follow to get the new board configured properly as there is nothing specific in the service manuals.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Darren

Ragnabrok

Hi guys,
We had an issue with our Roland SP-540V machine not printing at all from the Yellow/Magento head. After replacing everything else and trying unsuccessfully to get my mainboard repaired I took the plunge & ordered a new board last week. I now now have the new board fitted & can communicate with my networked PC.

So, I tried configuring the new board last week because they come without any specific software installed (aka a virgin board).
I thought that I would be okay to get this up and running but when I turn the machine on now I get the message...

Procedure
The first thing I did was to connect the printer to our network & sent the 'parameters backup' file I had previously saved. I did this via the 'Put Parameters' button in 'Peck'. The display on the printer read 'complete', but didn't shut down. So I manually turned the machine of and on again & got the 'Roland SP-???' message. Then I thought maybe I should've installed the firmware first so I did this via the 'upgrade firmware' in 'Peck', but I'm still getting the same message!

What I would like is someone to tell me the exact procedure I need to follow to get the new board configured properly as there is nothing specific in the service manuals.

Regards,
Darren

Better than the SUM ERROR :) .

should be an option for "initialize parameters" in the service manual, i think it's menu up and power. that starts the parameters off at XXX for a value, then you can put yours on through peck.
The printer will figure out it's own width the first time it does an environment match.

Visedge

Thanks Raqnabrok, That helped me get the board initialized :thankyou:.

The key combinations for System Parameter Initialize are ('up' 'down' 'return' + Sub power). This needs to be done before sending the new parameters.

So, when I got the machine up & running again as normal I tried to do a test print. To my dismay the Yellow/Magenta head is still not working at all :noway:
I switched the cables on the two heads & both heads are actually working fine. I would like to think so because I have just bought two new DX4 printheads last month.

I have also changed the Print server board & the cables

I now have absolutely no idea what the problem is :banghead:

Getting a bit desperate now... has anyone any other ideas?
Thanks,
Darren

Ragnabrok

Head rank? it shouldn't make or break a head being able to fire, but it's something.

From experience, if it isn't board, it's cables. Usually just not seated, but sometimes bad.

If you've replaced the print carriage board and the long trailing cables, and now the main board, that's pretty much it. There are some voltage regulators on the servo board that feed into the main board, but i think those are for logic, not heads.

i've never replaced a power board itself, so i'd not even consider it.

Tizz

Hi guys,

Procedure

Regards,
Darren

Hi Darren,

Im sorry I can't contribute with any info towards your main board setup. However Im curious as to what was looked at on your shot board that caused the magenta and yellow channel to stop printing.
I experienced a similar issue and found that the small fuse for this channel was blown. Was able to fix this myself without much hassle.

Regards,

lgroth

Since when you swapped the cables and the head fired the fuse may have popped... Power down, unplug the power (always unplug when doing ANYTHING electrical, even checking if cables are seated while plugged in, even if power is off can pop fuses if not unplugged too!). On the main board there are two tiny fuses just in from the corner where it's stamped "94-0" marked "F2" and "F3"... F3 is the fuse for the M/Y head (F2 is for the K/C head), check continuity, if the circuit is open the fuse is blown. This can be caused by not having the printer unplugged while pulling/ seating cables, a bad cable, bad head, etc. The fuses are soldered on (very tiny) but can be replaced if you have good soldering skills. Make sure you get the right fuse if you have to replace it, Roland part number for reference is 22555109. Good place to start anyway.

Tizz

Soldering a couple of wires connected to a fuse holder on top of the blown fuse worked for me. This was my last resort before replacing the board. Fuse holder is easily accessible now and can be replaced at anytime. Just ensure to only do this on the blown fuse.