• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Request advice from sign and display professionals

printndisplay

I am planned to start a print and display facility primarily concentrating on Wall papers, decals, stickers, labels, canvases and posters from my home for living. I am totally new to concept, but had experience as a web developer. No idea where to catch business too.

Contacted several printing machine manufacturing companies for machines like Roland, Mimaki, HP, Mutoh, Ricoh, Epson etc etc list goes on. Some manufacturer asking to go for latex machines because they were versatile. Some ask to go with eco solvent ink machines and some with pigment.

I am confused….

Please advise which manufacturer machine is good, durable, reliable, provide quality output and easy to use. Your advice would be too helpful to me. Please advise also what all machines required.

J Hill Designs

Please advise also what all machines required.

Wow this is quite the question in and of itself. I guess the simple answer is 'ink'

edit: i guess they dont ALL need ink, so I change my answer to 'power'

Billct2

You need to narrow down your options and provide more info before asking for advice. For instance...will any of these products be used outside? You say you're going to work out of your home, what kind of space do you have? What kind of budget do you have? What machines and service providers do you have locally?

printndisplay

I have 1000 sq ft space available for works, budget I set as low as possible, anyhow all machines required to start, but only quality machines, no much headaches

printndisplay

Wow this is quite the question in and of itself. I guess the simple answer is 'ink'

edit: i guess they dont ALL need ink, so I change my answer to 'power'

your opinion would be highly appreciated, I am from Australia, mostly all machinery manufacturers have dealers and offices here

Billct2

1000 s/f? That's a good size space. Your questions are way too vague. You need to do your research. It's obvious you have no experience.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With only 1,000 sf and a low budget, you might want to just reconsider going into something you know absolutely nothing about.

That would be like me saying, I have no money and a small basement, but want to start a pancake house. I dont know how to make the batter, I have no equipment and where will I get people to eat my non-existent pancakes ?? Do I need forks or spoons ?? What kinda syrup do I get, must I wash the table clothes after every use ?? Do I even need tablecloths ?? Where will the people park ?? Do I need a license to make this for other people ?? Do I need insurance ?? How do I operate a business, if I don't know anything ??

The printer you get should be based upon what your business is already doing, not a projection. You'll need a printer, cutter, laminator, work tables and a place for inventory. If you think a basement is gonna do all that........ good luck. Ha ing a budget of as little as possible is a ludicrous statement for someone looking to start a real business. You're gonna hafta really think hard about your decision to make this venture. So far, it looks like a disaster.

printndisplay

You'll need a printer, cutter, laminator, work tables and a place for inventory. If you think a basement is gonna do all that........ good luck. Ha ing a budget of as little as possible is a ludicrous statement for someone looking to start a real business. You're gonna hafta really think hard about your decision to make this venture. So far, it looks like a disaster.

Which make printer? Cutter? Laminator?

studebaker

Deluded Artist
With only 1,000 sf and a low budget, you might want to just reconsider going into something you know absolutely nothing about.

That would be like me saying, I have no money and a small basement, but want to start a pancake house. I dont know how to make the batter, I have no equipment and where will I get people to eat my non-existent pancakes ?? Do I need forks or spoons ?? What kinda syrup do I get, must I wash the table clothes after every use ?? Do I even need tablecloths ?? Where will the people park ?? Do I need a license to make this for other people ?? Do I need insurance ?? How do I operate a business, if I don't know anything ??

The printer you get should be based upon what your business is already doing, not a projection. You'll need a printer, cutter, laminator, work tables and a place for inventory. If you think a basement is gonna do all that........ good luck. Having a budget of as little as possible is a ludicrous statement for someone looking to start a real business. You're gonna hafta really think hard about your decision to make this venture. So far, it looks like a disaster.

Good Lord Gino... That is the best advice for startup business I've ever read. You are EXACTLY right, and any new businessman should heed your advice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

You're serious, huh ?? Call some distributors, see what you can afford with a three-way package deal and then come back and ask for help.

It really doesn't matter what you know or don't know in your situation. It's all gonna boil down to what you can afford and then you'll be unhappy no matter what you get. So, why put the pressure on all of us, just because you can't do your own homework ??

This is a place to learn, but not take someone by the hand and babysit them.

reQ

Good point by Gino. I just don't get how people in our industry can encourage people with 0 knowledge to start printing from the basement? Then we complain about that "people from basement" drop their pants just to get the business and prices go down every year. I am in with Gino on this one.

player

So if I said get an HP370 would that make you feel better?

Or if I said get a Roland?

Why would you take my word for it?

You need to know what the differences are, what your industry is using and why, where and how much do you think you can sell.

I bet there is more money in pancakes though.

printndisplay

So if I said get an HP370 would that make you feel better?

Or if I said get a Roland?

Why would you take my word for it?

You need to know what the differences are, what your industry is using and why, where and how much do you think you can sell.

I bet there is more money in pancakes though.

Well, HP 310 & Rolland Versa express & VSi print and cut is in cards, your opinion is what i sought, opinion from people who in industry and have better knowledge than anyone, sales executives of machine manufacturers will only shout to sell their machines.

i need to know which machine is durable?

Which machine provide perfect print/image quality?

Did i need to go print and cut in one machine or better to have two different machine?

printndisplay

Good point by Gino. I just don't get how people in our industry can encourage people with 0 knowledge to start printing from the basement? Then we complain about that "people from basement" drop their pants just to get the business and prices go down every year. I am in with Gino on this one.

This is called jealous!!!!!!!!!

printndisplay

You're serious, huh ?? Call some distributors, see what you can afford with a three-way package deal and then come back and ask for help.

It really doesn't matter what you know or don't know in your situation. It's all gonna boil down to what you can afford and then you'll be unhappy no matter what you get. So, why put the pressure on all of us, just because you can't do your own homework ??

This is a place to learn, but not take someone by the hand and babysit them.

I can afford up to $60K your opinion is what i sought, opinion from a person who in industry and have better knowledge than anyone, already i talked to dealers of mostly all manufacturers, according to them their machine is the best, obviously sales executives of machine manufacturers and their dealers will only shout to sell their machines.

Did i need to go print and cut in one machine or better to have two different machine?

Bly

It might be helpful to research your target market to see what's best suited to their needs.
Also do some reading of this forum - your questions have been asked and answered almost every week for years.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I can afford up to $60K your opinion is what i sought, opinion from a person who in industry and have better knowledge than anyone, already i talked to dealers of mostly all manufacturers, according to them their machine is the best, obviously sales executives of machine manufacturers and their dealers will only shout to sell their machines.

Let's put this into perspective.

You wanna buy a car. Do you go ask a buncha strangers which car is best ??
They'll ask you, do you need an SUV or a van or just a car. Do you need room for kids ?? Do you need 4 wheel drive ?? Do you want gas or diesel ?? Do you do a lotta cross country driving or around the city ?? Will your wife be using this or just you ?? Will it be garage kept ?? What average mileage will you put on a month ?? What can you afford ?? Can you afford the insurance on that kinda car ?? Do you have a license ??

Like mentioned..... if you want help, use the search button in the upper right hand corner for now. Once you have some real questions, then start firing away.