• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Resize Poor Picture

Guimb0

I look for a trick to resize a poor picture to make it larger for print.
I have picture of 1''x 1.90'' @ 300dpi but i need average 30'' x 60'' print.
If someone have tricks im verry interrested on !!
thank's

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Just go ahead and print it... should look fine from about 60 feet! Maybe use the "Enhance" button.

"Got an image enhancer that can bitmap?"

Seriously, though, in the real world that aint happening. There are some programs and methods to double and triple the resolution of images but you'll need to get to 3000px x 6000px (30" x 60" @ 100 px/in) starting with an image that is only 300x600px (about) -- that's a ten-fold increase and most certainly not likely to produce acceptable results...

Tell your customer you'll need a higher quality starting image.

Guimb0

Just go ahead and print it... should look fine from about 60 feet! Maybe use the "Enhance" button.

"Got an image enhancer that can bitmap?"

Seriously, though, in the real world that aint happening. There are some programs and methods to double and triple the resolution of images but you'll need to get to 3000px x 6000px (30" x 60" @ 100 px/in) starting with an image that is only 300x600px (about) -- that's a ten-fold increase and most certainly not likely to produce acceptable results...

Tell your customer you'll need a higher quality starting image.
You talk about method like wat mabe not for this case but in future ... can you tell me more ?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The software that I've used in the past has "fractal" in the name - that's all I remember -- but even their own recommendations were such that they said don't expect to maintain quality past a two- or three-fold increase in resolution. But it does work well enough to add a bit of resolution to an image.
(found it -- Digital Imaging Software Review: Genuine Fractals )

The method I spoke of is to simply increase the resolution of an image in a series of small steps upwards. For instance, if you have an image that is 1200px by 1200px and you need to get to 2400px by 2400px, you would open the image in, say, PhotoShop and manually increase the image size in increments of roughly 10%. (1200 to 1320 - then - 1320 to 1450 - then - 1450 to 1600, etc...... ) up to your desired image size (see attached). Make sure that "Resample Image" is turned on.

This works to a point and works the best when you are starting with an image that has already lots of size.

Good Luck

Attachments

• Image size PS.jpg
    Image size PS.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 179

phototec

Genuine Fractals is the software mentioned above, however the newer version is called On1 Resize 10.5 from On1 software, I have used it for many many years it works well however as mentioned it all depends on the quality of the original image. On1 Resize 10.5 can enlarge an image 1000% and maintain resonal resolution.

Here is the link to the info and a free 30 trial:

ON1 Resize 10.5 – ON1, Inc.

rossmosh

Here's the real trick: Find another image. The image is 300x570. That's barely acceptable for a decal. I honestly am perplexed how a sign professional would even bother posting about this. This is Computer 101. Garbage In = Garbage Out.

visual800

you cannot start with crap and make it good. That pic is way too small and too low resolution. Instead of "trying " to work with it (which aint gonna happen) just get another picture instead of wasting your time figuring this out