Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retractable Banner Stands!

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by DSGI, Oct 18, 2010.

1. DSGI

DSGI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Kent, WA
    I have a small sign shop in Redmond, WA. We currently use 3DaDisplay banner stands and they work quite nicely for the price. I print our graphics on a 13 0z. scrim banner material but would like to find a better media for the banner stands. I'd prefer something that was a smooth surface and curl/fray resistant. I've tested some PVC materials but none have printed well on my Epson Stylus Pro GS6000 machines.

I also have Stylus Pro 9900s for printing photos and fine art. I've considered using Epson Photo paper with a laminate over it but not sure if it's durability would meet our customers needs - but I love the print quality!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Matt

2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Welcome!

We print our retractables on POSpro 200 with good results. It's finicky to print on and requires a good profile to get good color but it's the most consistent printing material we've found for the application.

We've had mixed results (at best) with the POPup material from Fellers. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. It's very inconsistent.

3. Donny7833

Donny7833 Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Bluffton, SC
    I've been using Bantex 13oz Curl Free on my GS6000. Prints nice, stays flat. Only issue, it's a bit pricey, about .67 a square.

Last time I ordered 2 rolls, one 36, the other 54. They printed a little differently, the 54 was a little muted. Maybe an older roll experiencing some plasticizer migration? Hard to say, but that's not the norm I've experienced.

4. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    I'm going to try out a new banner material my local supplier has. The brand name is Ferrari and the product is their 9.5 oz. Decolit BW251. The supplier claims you can print edge to edge heavy coverage with absolutely no edge curl. It's incredibly soft for a banner material, almost like a stiff cloth and it has a flat black reverse side to it and matte finish front side.

I'll let you guys know how it works. It's supposed to be a tad on the pricey side, but if it lays flat and doesn't require lamination it could be ideal for these stands. I've found the POSPro needs lamination for protection as the matte surface is way to easy to scratch, plus it doesn't lay as flat as I expected it to. It always comes out curled and takes awhile to flatten out.

5. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I have a new 11 Mil Solvent Satin Blockout Non Edge Curl Retractable Banner Stand Film that will work fantastic in Retractables and is priced more aggressively then POS PRO 200. Anyone interested in giving it a whirl?

36"x100' $174.00
    50"x100' $241.86
    60"x100' $290.00

6. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I second the Decolite, we use it for all our stands

7. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    DSGI, check your Private Messages.

8. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    I just use the double sided super smooth stuff. Works fine for me.

9. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    Are you talking about the LG UltraSmooth 14oz? That's what we use, too -- works great...

10. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    So you use print paper, or possibly steel?

cause smooth double stuff really explains it

11. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    grimco has sihl. makes a good product.

12. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
  13. PromoGuyTy

PromoGuyTy Member

Mar 4, 2007
    HENDERSON
    we use POPUP from fellers........we really like it... have done 10 or 20 with it.