• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Retro HVAC logo and Ribbon Script Effect

Dan Antonelli

I have been studying a lot of 1930-1950s typography books and one style fascinated me - the ribbon scripts used. Finally had an opportunity to pull one off here. Jeff, my illustrator took the idea and ran with it. We're doing the wrap design next which should be cool.

But this one is definitely one of my favorites as of late.

Attachments

• retro-hvac-logo-example.jpg
    retro-hvac-logo-example.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 138

Justin

I know this is weird, but when I first opened the page, and seen the logo it made me think of Maytag.. :p

TwoNine

Love it.....Everything works so well.....The only thing I may change is: Have you tried Brush Script for the 'Nelson' portion?

J/K - Love it!!!

Dan Antonelli

Thanks guys. I had such a good layout for their vans, but then client said they decided on new Ford Transits, which dont make nearly as good a canvas as regular chevy 2500's etc--- so back to the drawing board on that!

Theres a few really good old lettering resources on Amazon that have a ton of inspiration. Last month or so I must have bought a few hundred dollars worth of resource books.

Locals Find!

That is wonderful Dan!

I have a client I really think should hire you for his logo and branding design. Your new Retro themes would work wonders for his identity. What is the best way to go about that?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The effect is nice Dan.
When you do something like this and present it to the customer do you lay out why you did it this way on the main lettering?
I mean by association I'd link a ribbon to some type of clothing/sewing/craft or maybe something aimed at women in general and not so much HVAC.
From your posts I know you don't do things just because they look good.

wayne k
guam usa

HulkSmash

That is wonderful Dan!

I have a client I really think should hire you for his logo and branding design. Your new Retro themes would work wonders for his identity. What is the best way to go about that?

I'm only going to assume to contact, would be the best way to go about that.

Dan Antonelli

The effect is nice Dan.
When you do something like this and present it to the customer do you lay out why you did it this way on the main lettering?
I mean by association I'd link a ribbon to some type of clothing/sewing/craft or maybe something aimed at women in general and not so much HVAC.
From your posts I know you don't do things just because they look good.

wayne k
guam usa

INteresting question. In all the lettering examples, the ribbon effect wasn't slanted towards anything specific to do with sewing/craft/etc - so I hadn't really even thought there was a connection to it. However, women do represent a large part of the usual demographics for HVAC guys on initial point of contacts (then the husbands get involved subsequently on the details). So maybe it was a happy accident? :)

The overall aim was to show a brand which showed experience and longevity. They actually are a well established company with a long history (which is why I was OK with Nelson as main copy and 'indoor air pros' as secondary). Generally you can only pull that off when you have name recognition, or at least that approach usually works better because the viewer already has indication of nature of the business from the name.

Addy, you can just PM me.

CheapVehicleWrap

Nothing like a happy accident. Looks great. I'd like to hear your opinion of why the whole retro theme died out for the most part when clearly you're making it work today. Was it the affordable plotter that drowned it out?