• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reusing Lexan/backlit material

gnubler

I'm currently bidding on two separate backlit signs, both updates to existing signs. One is fully covered with printed vinyl, I'm thinking it'll be an easy removal and then apply the new decals to the panel. The other is cut vinyl lettering. I think a removal would be easy enough, the vinyl is in good shape, but does Lexan get discolored? I won't know until I attempt to remove the old vinyl to find out if the panels can be reused. Should I bid the job using new panels and tell the customer if the old ones aren't discolored then they can be reused?

MikePro

you can always "freshen up" both panels with full-coverage printed white trans as a "cheap fix". will give you identical clean white faces at the cost of vinyl vs. substrate. But then again, sometimes new polycarb is cheaper than the labor involved in removing old graphics. Also, any yellowing/shadowing will still be noticeable when illuminated, as yellow polycarb still glows yellow and will make your white faces look
"dirty" when illuminated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Depends many times on the size of the faces we're working on. Years ago, I always tried to save the old panels. Today, not so much. Nobody's paying me extra to save them money, so why knock yourself out ??

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I personally won't deal with trying to repurpose old faces anymore. Have done it too many times and just isn't worth the aggravation. As far as I'm concerned the old faces are only good for getting the sizing for the new one.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm currently bidding on two separate backlit signs, both updates to existing signs. One is fully covered with printed vinyl, I'm thinking it'll be an easy removal and then apply the new decals to the panel. The other is cut vinyl lettering. I think a removal would be easy enough, the vinyl is in good shape, but does Lexan get discolored? I won't know until I attempt to remove the old vinyl to find out if the panels can be reused. Should I bid the job using new panels and tell the customer if the old ones aren't discolored then they can be reused?
Quote them with fresh bright new panels.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is that because you're old, or stopped caring, or what? o_O

I hate being so wasteful, but it's just the nature of the business.
He said why: Nobody's paying me extra to save them money, so why knock yourself out ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that because you're old, or stopped caring, or what? o_O

I hate being so wasteful, but it's just the nature of the business.
It's for a dentist, so I have no problem with that at all.

So, if I have this straight, I'm wrong for being wasteful (in your opinion), although I gave you a good reason, but it's alright for you to quote new, because it's a dentist ?? While I'm wasteful, you're deceitful. Is that a fair assumption ?? Is that a good way to deal in business ??

rjssigns

I don't mess with old panels. Can never be sure what will happen. Years back a good client said he wanted to save his panels. I said I'd take a look. Panels looked okay until he tried taking one off the truck. The corner along with a huge ragged piece fell off in his hand. I looked at him a said; "Now you know why I quoted new faces".

Looking back I'm shocked they didn't fall to bits during transport.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I haven't done many lighted signs. Most have been with new material. But I just lettered one of those old school bar ones yesterday that have the 4" bump out. Red and blue cut vinyl came off easy. Black was a son of a gun. There is some shadowing but my graphic covered almost the entire panel so there's just the top of a couple letters and it's so high up you will never see it. Infact, once it was down I noticed upside down shadowing from the previous bars letters too! Never saw it at all from the ground.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
All this has me wondering, I have a 2.5" flycut bit for leveling my table. Has anybody tried shaving off .02" off a panel to remove the top layer of graphics and hopefully any discoloring? I may try that on my next 'why the hell didn't you sell them new plastic' sort of job...
Isn't only one side Weatherable? It's probably a coating on the top that would get shaved off.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
A lot of variables here. I price out the job using new faces (no cleaning, one trip), then figure out an alternate cleaning the existing faces. If the faces are over a couple years old, then usually new faces are a better bet. If they are pan faces, replacing them could be very expensive (depending on your situation), making re-use more viable. If you have a vacuum former and a fully equipped spray booth, you won't be asking these questions.

http://www.crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-vinyl-off.htm