• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reverse Color Profile?

jtoon86

I have a library of unprofiled images that were color corrected based on the output of an unprofiled printer. Needless to say, trying to output these images on other, profiled equipment is not getting the same color output requiring a lot of manual color correction to convert to a profile image.

Since I know for a given image input that the output is good on the unprofiled printer, is there anything out there that would allow me to setup a kind of "reverse profile" that allows me to adjust the color values of the original image to ultimately get me to a Adobe RGB 1998 profiled image that would then print out consistently on properly profiled equipment?

dypinc

Open them up on Photoshop and try assigning various profiles to them and see if any come close to what they printed like in your previous unprofiled environment. If you can get them close then you can convert them to Adobe RGB 1998 and edit as necessary.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I don’t think this is possible in an easy way.
Because the “uncalibrated” printer has its own profile that was calibrated. The problem is that the profile thinks it’s printing the right colours but the printer isn’t.

even if you get the old profile from the printer and do a conversion with photoshop, you’ll end up with what the profile thinks is right.

to do what your asking, it may be possible with some heavy math and a wealth of knowledge on how colour profiles work and how the icc profiling engines work.

I would either try track down the original images. Or start modifying those images back to the original state. (Which is why you should always keep the original images on file)