• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reverse glass gild question?

knucklehead

Making a thing for the wife, for Mothers Day. A reverse gilded 'The Bible', like the Tv series was.

I've only done surface gilding, but this will be reverse, with an offset gloss black background. Like a thin shadow box.

Question is, would water gilding be more brilliant, than using Rolco size? I have gelatin, and Rolco. I'm also going to use a mask. Sorry, I'm not an artist.

All insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Z SIGNS

rolco will give you a matte finish.Gelatin water size will give you a mirror finish.Also your going to want to use loose leaf instead of patent

knucklehead

Thanks for the replies.

That's about what I was thinking, that the rolco would look flatter cause you're seeing the size, before the leaf.

Got the red Gold Leaf book by Ken somebody. Just moved a year ago, and I don't have any idea which box of books it may be in.

I'm going to do the gelatin. Jill, what exactly do you mean by doing the centers with the rolco, and outers with gelatin? These are gonna be open letters.

Craig Sjoquist

You can get 2 different looks in gold using both sizes..same amount of work just a bit more effort, it will look like more work & fancier.

round man

matte centers are achieved by lettering the size in the centers of the letters ,allowing the size to dry fully, then water gilding over the dry size,and the outer edges as a whole,...the area where the size is will appear somewhat matte compared to the mirror burnish of the outer edges, thus making it easier to read at about any angle,...without the matte centers the mirror effect will make it somewhat difficult to read at certain angles due to the mirror-like reflections

knucklehead

Gotcha. Not really gonna be big enough for that, I don't think. Whole piece is just going to be 6 x 12. But, that sounds like something I need to try on something larger. Thanks for all the tips.