• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

reverse molding lightbox

Drip Dry

Have a customer that has 2 - 12" square poles. He wants the lightbox to be flush with the poles.
Someone said to me to have the box made with reverse moldings.
He made it sound like it was simple. Rather than look stupid, I said Ok and left.

Can someone explain it to me or point to a link somewhere.
Any thoughts about it, good or bad

Thanks

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Ceilings have molding. Signs have retainers.

But still not sure what he means or what the actual question is...? Does he mean he wants the bottom of the cabinet ("lightbox") even/touching the top of the supports? If so, weld a smaller stub pipe in each support and build the cabinet as a slip-over. Build the internal framing so that you can weld or bolt it it to the stub pipes.

Still don't know what "reverse moldings" are or how they come into play with mounting the cabinet flush though...

Drip Dry

Ceilings have molding. Signs have retainers.

Potato.... Pototo. Still means the same thing.

That's why I said in my OP, that I never heard of it either.

Still don't know what "reverse moldings" are or how they come into play with mounting the cabinet flush though...

Problem is if the poles (or maybe their called upright stanchions) are 12" thick and the lightbox (or cabinet) is 12" thick, how would I service it. How would I get the plexi ( or acrylic) out?

GB2

Old Member
You can do that any number of ways, here are only two...

Have a hinged face that can be flush with the posts and would be hinged on the top and fastened on the bottom, so you would unfasten it at the bottom and swing it up to service the bulbs or change the face.

Have a fixed box flush with the posts with the face panel inset from the front and held in place with right angle pieces applied in the front and screwed to the edges.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Potato.... Pototo. Still means the same thing.

That's why I said in my OP, that I never heard of it either.

Problem is if the poles (or maybe their called upright stanchions) are 12" thick and the lightbox (or cabinet) is 12" thick, how would I service it. How would I get the plexi ( or acrylic) out?

It's not the same thing. Signs don't have "molding". I was trying to establish if you (or he) were referring to the retainer. If it's not clear what you (or he) are talking about, it's kind of hard to help.

Since it sounds like you (or he) are referring to the retainer, I don't have a clue what was meant by it being "reverse".

But if that is what we're talking about: to service it, you pull the end retainer off and pull the face out. The supports are only in two 12" areas. Besides, it should be manufactured so every retainer is removable, not just the ends....or the methods GB2 mentioned.

Last edited:

nwsigns

You would need to make a custom cab from angle for square tube - weld a frame and then skin it.

FS-Keith

I am more concerned with you trying to sell a job for a sign that is large enough to be mounted on 2-12" square poles and sounds like you have no idea what you or the customer needs/wants.

Sounds like you simply want a cabinet 12" deep mounted between two poles....thats all you had to say... As others have said before hinge the top of at lease one side and fasteners on the bottom... To take it a step further, we also weld 1/2" alum nuts on the top of the retainers on large signs so we can screw eye bolts or L clips in to remove the faces with the crane.