• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reverse print on back of clear acrylic help

timjitsu

I'm having an issue with these name plaques. I reverse printed them on clear vinyl and applied it to the back of clear acrylic and it came out looking like crap. I think the adhesive is causing the foggy look. I'm wondering how the person who made the one in the sample image got it to come out looking so clear.

Here is the sample image.
f6DSL7C.jpg

Here is mine.
T9w9YYR.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
what clear did you print on?

I print on Arlon 3270 Laminate, it's ultra thin and very clear. tricky to get started printing because it's so thin, but works well.

TimToad

They most likely didn't use a flatbed printer and probably used a different image than the plain gray that you used.

AKwrapguy

I'm having an issue with these name plaques. I reverse printed them on clear vinyl and applied it to the back of clear acrylic and it came out looking like crap. I think the adhesive is causing the foggy look. I'm wondering how the person who made the one in the sample image got it to come out looking so clear.

Depends on what your using. For clear we use 3650-114 and don't have that issue. Also it could be that you're not laying down enough ink, the colors aren't correct, etc.... there could be a few issues. Also how are you applying it, dry, soapy water,?

bpatrick3

You need to print on gloss white poly film or any other super smooth material and then face mount using optically clear adhesive meant for face mounting.
It is very tricky and pricey but is the proper way to do it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
wow, all that mucking around for an acrylic sign.
That sort of stuff is best left to the flat bed printers. - No offence.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe a silly question but did you back your print with white after printing the clear? We can't print white but get good results with prints on 8518 or 290 clear backed up with 3M 7725 white for second surface stuff.

TechnoLett

i would simply cut name in white vinyl reversed, and the edges in the closest color vinyl and apply! Maybe sounds dumb but you can't get a more clear and cut result!

jimbug72

Yeah, I would do reverse cut vinyl as well unless there's some reason I'm not seeing in the example that would prevent that from being an option.

burgmurk

i've seen this effect before, i was using a very low-end avery clear and wet-applying it. strangely enough it only happened with wet application. Try another film, i usually just use a laminate. It doesn't have to be "optically clear" (that stuff is expensive) it just needs the "right" adhesive.

Andy D

Some adhesive becomes foggy and/or blotchy if applied wet.
I never had an issue with 3M clear, with that though.

signman315

Signmaker
I've had great results using oracal 3651 clear, reverse printed (HP latex and/or Mimaki solvent), laminated with white oracal cast (751 i think is the number for it, it has clear adhesive on white substrate). Then apply to back side of CLEAR acrylic, not the P95 acrylic that's matte on one side, just true clear acrylic. I've applied both wet and dry successfully, but when applying dry make sure your squeegee work is on point and pressed firmly on the initial adhesion. If not pressing firmly from the get go it will cause a "desaturated" look or kind of silvering that matches what you've described. Personally I lay wet and hammer on it with the squeegee and they look painted on! And I've tested adhesion with this method...no joke it's adhered strongly immediately once you squeegee out the soapy water, dry enough to package for shipping immediately. I know some guys that are using same method but dry applying with a laminator and they look stellar, but not worth the set up unless you've got a large order, in my opinion....