• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rhinestone Transfers

fresh

One of my good clients asked if we could do a rhinestone transfer for her... I know there are a few places I can order them from, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how I should design it. The place I typically get silk screen transfers from said they only have one size rhinestone, and its 3mm.

Do you have any design tips or experience with this?

Thanks!

WildWestDesigns

There are multiple rhinestone sizes and different degree of quality.

The biggest thing when designing something is try to avoid tight spaces if possible. Rhinestones are a set physical size and you don't really want to have them packed in tight spaces and/or overlapping one another. Especially if you are trying to limit things for one size stone.

If the design has text and they are wanting that blinged out, I would suggest using a font that is designed to be used with stones. I do believe DAS as a good selection of fonts meant for stone work.

My suggestion would be to use stones as accents instead of a whole design. In other words, I might do embroidery, sequins, and stones, instead of a design all of one thing.

Attachments

• sugar skull.png
    sugar skull.png
    596.4 KB · Views: 180

WildWestDesigns

What about doing a design with Spangles?

Spangles (aka sequins) have the same size concerns, rather they are heat applied or embroidered on (what I do) have different limitations in designing.

Most common size for here is 5mm, so designing has even more limitations. Now, my machine can handle 4 sizes, only one smaller then 5 though (3mm). But, because around here the common one is 5mm, there are more color selections compared to the other sizes with sequins.

WildWestDesigns

Spangles, minus the hole and thread come in 3 sizes, 2, 3, & 4 mm.

The have the same size concerns (as in what you have to worry about when designing), not necessarily the same size.

The sizes that I had listed where for embroidered sequins, not heat applied

m4ruk4

Heat Applied...

The rhinestones I've used are heat applied. There are different sizes as well. I have the silhouette cameo + silhouette studio designer edition. In here you can create rhinestones templates. Its the drawing with the wholes (like the picture I attached) then you fill it up with the rinestones and put them on the heat press.
Not a big deal, but not my thing neither. I did not look up where you located but theres this website (novarhinestone.com) that is located in cali and houston where you can buy them and they can help you out figuring out what you really need.

:)

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 212

WildWestDesigns

The rhinestones I've used are heat applied. There are different sizes as well. I have the silhouette cameo + silhouette studio designer edition. In here you can create rhinestones templates. Its the drawing with the wholes (like the picture I attached) then you fill it up with the rinestones and put them on the heat press.
Not a big deal, but not my thing neither. I did not look up where you located but theres this website (novarhinestone.com) that is located in cali and houston where you can buy them and they can help you out figuring out what you really need.

:)

If you don't have a program that either has rhinestone module or a plugin, something that automates the process (I would imagine that the silhouette program would automate it, so no worries there in that program) and you are designing exclusively in Ai/DRAW/Inkscape etc, you have to compensate for things like overcutting, prevent overlaps etc yourself. Doable, just a pain.

If you outsource the template creation, probably no issues there, let them deal with it. However, trying to at least check it out quickly before sending it off might help spot some things before it gets to them.

m4ruk4

If you don't have a program that either has rhinestone module or a plugin, something that automates the process (I would imagine that the silhouette program would automate it, so no worries there in that program) and you are designing exclusively in Ai/DRAW/Inkscape etc, you have to compensate for things like overcutting, prevent overlaps etc yourself. Doable, just a pain.

If you outsource the template creation, probably no issues there, let them deal with it. However, trying to at least check it out quickly before sending it off might help spot some things before it gets to them.

Yes, the silhouette studio does it automatically and of course would be a pain to get it done manually.
But is just for him to see what options he has.
Most of the time is not even worth the effort and the time just for one piece.
Its easier to outsource it and get it done by someone that already knows what they are doing :)

WildWestDesigns

Most of the time is not even worth the effort and the time just for one piece.

I just now noticed that it was just for one transfer. I read that much too fast.

Its easier to outsource it and get it done by someone that already knows what they are doing :)

Absolutely, especially if it's just for one. My only concern (and I deal with this a lot with digitizing) for mentioning this is that the design may or may not be conducive to bling. Bling actually has even more to consider then embroidery, so it was more with the notion of either trying to help them make sure the design was conducive for bling or to not be surprised if some changes may have to be made in order for the design to translate.