• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ribbed trailer nightmare

TeamOutlaw

We wrapped a ribbed semi trailer back in March. We used 3M IJ40c w/ a gloss over laminate as the customer said this would be a 3yr contract at most. My initial look at the trailer made me hesitant due to all the "ribbed and riveted" metal...but they had some cut vinyl lettering that appeared to be holding up fine.

So...we proceeded to print and install a 70"H x 16'W image. We heated, rolled and tucked EVERY rivet. Took us 1.5 days, but looked great when done (see pic).

Now 3mos later the customer sent me pics of the graphics and EVERY rib is tunneled and rivets letting loose!?

I realize a little of this tunneling etc. would happen...but I didn't envision the ENTIRE image to do so! This isn't our 1st rodeo either...been in the sign business for 25yrs. So, I don't consider ourselves to be rookie installers.

IS it just the nature of all the ribs / rivets? Black trailer / hot sun? Wrong media to begin with? Hoping someone else has done one of these style trailers before and will have some insight. TIA

Attached pic is right after installation...looks GREAT! After pics are in the next response post

Attachments

• NoveMeal Side_sm.jpg
    NoveMeal Side_sm.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 541

TeamOutlaw

Here's the "After" pics of the tunneling

Attachments

• 20170620_074600_sm.jpg
    20170620_074600_sm.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 452
  • 20170620_074741_sm.jpg
    20170620_074741_sm.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 446

CanuckSigns

You used the wrong media, IJ40 is listed as flat surfaces or simple curves only, a ribbed trailer would be considered more than a simple curve.

Redo with a decent cast vinyl and cast laminate and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

TeamOutlaw

You used the wrong media, IJ40 is listed as flat surfaces or simple curves only, a ribbed trailer would be considered more than a simple curve.

Redo with a decent cast vinyl and cast laminate and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
I get what you're saying. However...the trailer is "flat". The ribs are not rounded in any way. There is basically a sharp bend at each crease. It's not like we were trying to apply it to a football helmet with complex curves...it's a "flat" sided trailer...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I get what you're saying. However...the trailer is "flat". The ribs are not rounded in any way. There is basically a sharp bend at each crease. It's not like we were trying to apply it to a football helmet with complex curves...it's a "flat" sided trailer...

flat, In this case, means no ridges or bumps (ribs, rivets)

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 394

Dr. Decal

You definitely needed a cast vinyl for this job. I use IJ40C myself for flat panel van graphics. As a rule of thumb, anything with ANY rivets or ridges needs to be cast. Calendared vinyl will always want to go back to flat, and will not conform to a rounded rivet without "tenting". I have recently been using cast on any vehicle application, due to the fact that even on a flat van side, the calendared vinyl will shrink after a little sun exposure.

The application looks great. I'm sure it was a handful, and hate that the vinyl failed on you after all the hard work. Application with a cast vinyl will be easier than with the 40C, and you shouldn't have any issues as long as it is properly post heated.

ExecuPrintGS

I agree with the others. I would have gone cast. I understand it is "short term graphics" but those ridges and with the rivets i wouldn't even bother with cal.
Also without knowing how you installed it i would say that could be part of the issue, but without seeing your install method i would point at the material.

Johnny Best

Sorry to hear of a problem like that, but as others said, cast, and even go with a 1mil overlam like Oraguard 293 to give you more flexability on those numerous amount of bends and post heat.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
While I agree with the "use cast" posters, 3M's literature might lead one to believe that IJ40 is not necessarily the wrong material. It mentions rivets twice, but does not mention it's not really suited for the job. (But yeah- it's not the right stuff to use)

equippaint

While I agree with the "use cast" posters, 3M's literature might lead one to believe that IJ40 is not necessarily the wrong material. It mentions rivets twice, but does not mention it's not really suited for the job. (But yeah- it's not the right stuff to use)
Oracal 3551 is the same way. Using the tech sheet would make you question age old knowledge.

tomence

rivets and ribs is not the same, could get away if there was only rivets but with those rib channels there i don't think you can use any calendared, i would no use it even if it's only for a month.

tomence

Neither are reading and comprehension. The OP mentioned both rivets and ribs- and even provided pictures.

You said that 3m has mentioned ij40 can be used on rivets so that's why i said if there were only rivets and not those rib channels he could've gotten away with it.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
You said that 3m has mentioned ij40 can be used on rivets so that's why i said if there were only rivets and not those rib channels he could've gotten away with it.
Before this thread gets derailed by pointless back and forth, I'll this and no more: No, that's not what I said. Feel free to read my post again.

dale911

President
As far as application, I'm curious if the material was bridged across the rivers or fed up and down the ridges. Calendared vinyl "could" have worked possibly if it wasn't stretched into the valleys though there would likely still be some tenting with the rivets. I don't know that the material would have pulled so hard if it was fed instead of stretched. I attempted to use the General Formulations Automark material on my trailblazer when a sales Rep told me it really could be used for full wraps. I didn't believe him so I wrapped my own car. It works great on the simple curves but when I pushed it into the space where the curve of the door meets the base of the window frames, they pulled out in less than 2 years and that was with primer. I don't believe there is any calendared material that should be used on on a surface that can pull away from something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bly

Definitely a job for cast.
Unless you make it clear it won't stay down around the rivets/ridges and they are desperate to save money.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like you had 3 strikes against you from the start.
1.Calendared material
2. Heavy saturated ink load
3. Rivets holding down ribs

This would be a tough install even with cast material.
Put it down in your "Things not to do next time" notebook.

wayne k
guam usa