• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP Files to a SSD drive or mechanical type?

Is there any speed advantage to Ripping to a SSD. I use Flex 12 and sometimes Sign Lab 9. I have an extra 128 GB SSD drive sitting around thinking about just dedicating it to ripping.

Thanks,
Roger

Baz

I built my last computer almost 5 years ago. It has an SSD as the main drive (Operating sytstem, Programs and ripping) and is paired with a standard 7200 rpm hard drive for file storage.
It still rips incredibly fast.

It is now time for me to upgrade the home computer, so like i always do, the shop computer is coming home and i will build a new one for the shop.

No question about getting another SSD drive. They make a huge difference.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
SSD will always be faster than HDD and should RIP much faster. More RAM helps with bigger files and the faster the processor the better. I am still wondering why RIP companies haven't added GPU support. The type of calculations the RIP does is perfectly suited for GPU processing and it could speed it up by at least 10 times. It seems weird to me that a graphics processing company doesn't utilize the parallel processing power of GPUs which were designed for the function!

nate

SSD will always be faster than HDD and should RIP much faster. More RAM helps with bigger files and the faster the processor the better. I am still wondering why RIP companies haven't added GPU support. The type of calculations the RIP does is perfectly suited for GPU processing and it could speed it up by at least 10 times. It seems weird to me that a graphics processing company doesn't utilize the parallel processing power of GPUs which were designed for the function!

Caldera does.

NateF

I don't know if 128GB will be large enough. Maybe it will work if it's just a second drive in the machine. I had a dedicated RIP computer running an SSD with Roland Versaworks and kept getting "not enough storage" errors. Upgraded to 500GB and no more problems!