• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rippling Prints when Framed

CSPrint

I currently have the HP Latex 360 printing and I am printing on Sihl 3686 paper. I frame my prints in 18x24 and 24x36 sizes and every so often a customer has an issue with the print rippling. It gets wavy around the edges. I assume this is from the paper shrinking or expanding. Is there any paper that is more water resistant and would not ripple with humidity changes?

Thanks for your help!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Slightly off topic, but we were looking to order some 3686 for poster printing. How's the gloss level on it? We don't want a full shine, just something satin/medium gloss.
Supplier doesn't have any samples for a couple of weeks.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Great to hear... thanks a lot for the reply. If we get some quickly enough I'll let you know how ours goes when framed. Although our framer uses self-adhesive foam board so might not have the same issues.

CSPrint

Oh, so you mount them to an adhesive backing? What is your process for applying the print to it so it doesn’t have bubbles and goes on straight? I have no experience with mounting prints.

Thanks!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We don't mount ourselves... we have a framing shop nearby we send all our work to. All I know is that they use self-adhesive foam board for mounting all prints to prevent ripples over time/humidity/temperature.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I currently have the HP Latex 360 printing and I am printing on Sihl 3686 paper. I frame my prints in 18x24 and 24x36 sizes and every so often a customer has an issue with the print rippling. It gets wavy around the edges. I assume this is from the paper shrinking or expanding. Is there any paper that is more water resistant and would not ripple with humidity changes?

Thanks for your help!
We print to Ultraflex PET for framed prints.

CSPrint

Thanks for the suggestion on the PET ultraflex, I will give it a try. How does it print on the latex printer? I have tried some polypropylene material, but it always prints super matte and just brushing my fingernail on it leaves a mark.