• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rivets Vs. Screws

JRemillard

Hello all! This is my first post on this forum and was wanting to ask some advice. I have read many many articles about Rivets vs. Screws. And all have said rivets to apply vinyl over and for screws to take them out, apply vinyl and put screws back. I have an upcoming trailer to do in the next couple of days, and I was wondering if anyone has tried to put vinyl over the screw heads while they are out and then put them back in. The vinyl that I am using is Oracal 651 Calendered. I know that if and when I do rivets I will switch to Cast. To me it seems like it would work just fine, but thought that I would ask some pros their opinions. Thanks in advance!

visual800

I always remove them. Use a square head bit for square and star it actually fits both screws. Screws will screw up a vinyl job and you can bet your gonna hit 99% of them. It takes an extra 30-45 minutes to do trailer but well worth it

JRemillard

I always remove them. Use a square head bit for square and star it actually fits both screws. Screws will screw up a vinyl job and you can bet your gonna hit 99% of them. It takes an extra 30-45 minutes to do trailer but well worth it

Oh I will for sure remove the screws. But instead of the silver screw head showing. I was wondering if anyone has put vinyl over the screw head before putting the screw back in. Thanks!

letterman7

Your bit would tear up the vinyl putting the screws back in. I've always removed them as well. Only by request of the customer did I ever come back and paint them a similar color to the vinyl under it.

JgS

If you are going to put vinyl on the screws before installing them than there is no point in removing them. I once painted the screws for a picky client but I usually don't do that.

DizzyMarkus

In the few cases were we've had to color the screw heads -- we have used nail polish and a good cleaning--- you can almost match any color with nailpolish hehe

Markus

visual800

The trailer below have all bare screws removed and put back in. DO NOTallow your clients to talk you into wrapping or painting screws, you cannot yell and its a waste of time, this is not brain surgery folks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 142

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Take 'em out- yes. Cover 'em with vinyl while they're out, though? Seems silly. If you're covering them, leave them on and muddle through. But, like most everyone else, I wouldn't bother trying to color them unless the customer's ridiculously picky.
My question, though- why calendered vinyl? Is your customer that cheap? I mean, 651 has a nice gloss and all, but I've rarely come across a customer that didn't (unrealistically) expect their graphics to last and intermediate vinyl just doesn't cut it in that regard.

JRemillard

The trailer below have all bare screws removed and put back in. DO NOTallow your clients to talk you into wrapping or painting screws, you cannot yell and its a waste of time, this is not brain surgery folks

Thanks for the advice Visual800! I will not be wasting my time with covering the heads. As far as Oracal651 basically it was a call on Friday afternoon and wants done by Monday. I'm dumb enough to say yes, so have to go with what I have in stock. So no the customer is not that cheap it's a matter of what I had on hand, and should give him some good life on the vinyl for the purpose it is serving. Thanks for that advice folks!

Todd Jelle

We've done it both ways, left in & taken out, them re-installed.
but we never use a calendered film, onlly air release, like 3M control tac CV3
You can go over them, but its slow & time consuming.
I usuall give the cutomer the choice, telling them the install portion of the price goes up as much as 50%

Pat Whatley

My question, though- why calendered vinyl? Is your customer that cheap? I mean, 651 has a nice gloss and all, but I've rarely come across a customer that didn't (unrealistically) expect their graphics to last and intermediate vinyl just doesn't cut it in that regard.

I've actually found that in most cases 651 will outlast 751.

Auburnpeanut

TAKE THE SCREWS OUT!!! We always do and leave them original color. I tell our customer how that is the first part to come up, wear out etc. We tell them we will not warranty the parts of the vinyl over the screws. Every customer except one has been happy and agreed with us when we took the time to explain why. The one customer was that one that you can never make happy!

JRemillard

Awesome help guys! Took the screws out, no "SCREW RAPS" or "MANICURED SCREW HEADS" :) <--referring to the previous statement of finger nail polish lol....even though my wife offered some up! Customer is happy, job went pretty smooth and should say we are all happy. Now my favorite part of the job the invoice! Thanks again!