• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Road Signs Equipment

alexzs

I'm thinking about making road signs.
Have someone used the Hp Latex to print on engineer grade reflective sheet?
What equipment do you recommend me? (printer, cutter, laminator?)
Or would you rather start making them with electrocut overlay?

I would appreciate your advices.

Thank you

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Like StarSigns mentioned, I would be careful using the engineer grade reflective to produce traffic signage. I would review the MUTCD guidelines to ensure proper compliance for materials, color, and sizing requirements. FWIW, most municipal sign shops overlay the electrocut(EC film) translucent film over the top of pre-cut sign blanks using a vinyl cutter and roll applicator. Our S2 tangential cutters are a popular choice for most municipalities cutting this film and would be worth a look if you end up needing a cutter to produce these types of signs.

You are welcome to contact me by email at philj@summa.us or by phone at (800)527-7778, ext 112 if you would like to pick my brain regarding this application.

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Good luck being competitive in that market. I don't know how things are around your area, but around here, we have companies that sell traffic signs at retail for less than what we can even pay at wholesale in a lot of cases. Not to mention, some of our wholesalers like to sell wholesale to any government agency or municipality, so they can pretty much cut us sign shop folk right out of the picture. I do think that overlay is a good way to go, but stocking those colors, as well as reflective materials and aluminum sheet is very costly. Engineer grade reflective might work for things like signs in public parks and parking signs and things like that, but I'm pretty sure high intensity reflective is becoming the standard these days for anything on city streets and highways.