• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland 540 Banding issues!!

lexsigns

Have had 2 techs here 3 times- changed dampers - It really only does on dark solid colors.. There are huge 1/2" bands and its almost a pattern- We cleaned the grid wheel and also the strip that runs along ( forget what its called) did calibration, cleanings, everything under the sun
Have tried tons of settings etc- last time this happened i used 2 other printers at my suppliers and they did the same thing too. Its really annoying and frustrating! They keep saying its probably the heads but its only 2.5 yrs old...
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 658

Bigdawg

Just Me
I've gotten these too. We were seeing it when there was a communication error between the printer and computer. We would also see when we didn't pre-roll the media and it would "pull" on it. Have you tried changing out your ethernet cable?

lexsigns

cable-?? no I haven't but I will see if I have a different one to try- Ill also try freeing up the tension on the media.. fingers crossed I am desperate!

lexsigns

Tried taking tension off and helped the bands are further apart but still there- could it be a heat issue?

iraney

check the ink cartridges sometimes the rubber nip gets pushed back and the needle does not puncture the seal it looks like ink starvation.

player

Which 540? There are many different 540's/. The SP540V has a cable and 2 heads, the VP540i has a belt and 4 heads...

lexsigns

Update! So an amazing member here ( I dont know your handle to personally thank you) who happens to be local reached out and contacted me- He said he knew what my problem could be, STATIC!
Over night delivery for stopstatic.com kit ( who are also extremely helpful)
and my printer is working just great again. I cant use my supply 55 take up or it creates more static and messes it up but its working and I am saved!!

I cant say thank you enough for helping me out! Sign people are the best!!!

Next question is what to buy for a take up reel, do I spend for the Roland one that goes with it ? What are you guys using and do they create static problems?

JScreatacor

Lexsigns,

Do you have photos of your issues. We have had some banding issues here in the past, and it is always great to see what works.

bilge

They keep saying its probably the heads but its only 2.5 yrs old... [/QUOTE said:
Maybe they are right. Printhead life is counted by shots not by years. It is shown in the service mode, any channel reached to 6 billion shots (million x thousand) the head won't work properly (DX7). It can be in less than an year or maybe 5-6 years depending on how you use. Heavy cleaning shortens the head life significantly. In average 2 years. Or premature wear caused by some 3rd party ink.
If you have static issue then more likely your floor is carpeted. If so you can't get rid of the static problem.
Regarding take up reel, you could buy chinese one from sign in china at $200-$300. I use it all the time even for my new L315.

Frank Linson

The banding issues you talk about show up with cmyk black input art. be sure you have rgb files to send to print. May work, may not. We print with Flexi so it likes rgb input. We sometimes have to change the art files sent us as the Illustrator black is never true black, it's grey and bands badly as do greens and reds that aren't pure hued or rgb colors. best of luck, If you need parts I have a 6 year old VP540i that quit printing for sale.